IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

I won it on an auction off eBay, slight bend on a mounting tab and one bent fin... $90!
3 row champion! It is for a 280ZX but the sizes are similar. It will fit fine. I tested it tonight. I will need to redrill the mounting holes, but wow! Who cares!

Spending a lot of time making the inner wheel wells smooth and pretty. Cleaning up the inner wheel well welds and making the rolled lips smooth on both sides. No one will know but me probably, but I like things done right.

Picked up a used oven this weekend. I will be using it along with the Carbon Fibre Quartz heat lamps to cure Powder Coat. The oven is more even heat for doing the Chrome coat.

Finished up the inside of the wheel wells; just a little more work on the inside of the rear skirt area before I respray the bottom of the car in the DTM thinned down to a sealer coat. Then it will sit until the body colour goes on. I will wait for the rest of the suspension components are ordered and arrived before I do that I think. In the meantime, I will work on getting the rest of the body work started. Mostly just the weld seams and major issues will be done with the short hair fibreglass bondo. Once I get close to a finished line, I will apply regular bondo and Hi-build spray primer.

Another few hours of patching and sanding inside the back valance. Seems I am obsessed with small details no one will ever see. Oh well!
The back quarter received a fair amount of fibreglass to seal the OP's weld seams. Not a fun job considering how far out they are from true. Hate to add so much filler, but really no choice unless I cut new panels in complete.

Applied some fibreglas to the weld indents long the driver quarter. Not a pretty weld seam but I used a tape line to define the ridge location for sanding to. It was pulled before the fibreglas fully set, leaving me a guide line.
IMG_4670.JPG
IMG_4671.JPG

Did some more fill work to the quarter while the position of the rotisserie was convenient. I will respray the bottom of the car this next week. Most likely just a seal coat of epoxy here as there is no real need for the hi-build under the car.

The body line that you are working on at the moment, doesn't it fade off into the curve from the wheel and then pick up again on the other side of the wheel well? At least on my Z which has had the fenders repaired the body line comes off the door, extends 3-4" onto the dogleg area then flows into the curve of the wheel and then is re established again on the rear of the wheel well and runs to the back of the car. OR it could be my car that is wrong.

DSCN1411.JPG

• Like 1