IGNORED

Just Did The Kia Hatch Seal

rossiz

I took the plunge an placed an order through KorASP. I want to replace the rear hatch seal and the local KIA dealer (also my Nissan dealer) couldn't get it cheaper the €82. Even with shipping, import duties and taxes Ill only pay about €45.

Ill post photos of what arrives in next weeks (delivery: more than 10 days). I think by "small air" they mean post dove.

Chas

post-25317-0-35680500-1422730141_thumb.j

Seeing that KORAPS is always an option and we ended up having a beautiful day here in Austin I decided to check my local Pick-A-Part for the seals first.  Their website showed they had 5 93-02 Sportages in the yard.  Between all 5 I was able to get 3 really good seals, 1 driver side and 2 passenger sides.  Once home I started removing my old original hatch seal.  After a few hours my back was telling me to take a break as the seal was coming off in lots of little pieces.  However, I am optimistic and looking forward to the end result.  For anyone wondering just how big these seals are, here is a picture of one of my mine with a can of spray paint for context.  At $3 per seal it was a bargain!  I did pull a rear door seal to compare and they are probably 8 inches smaller.

SportageSeal01.jpg

I actually pulled a rear passenger seal out to compare it.  It was probably about 8 inches shorter but due to the rear passenger door being closed 99% of the time the seal was pretty compressed and would not rebound so I left it.  If it would have rebounded I would have bought it since I already had it out but I could not justify spending $3 for something that really was not useable anymore.

I mean the hatch, not the rear side door. 

This one looks like it might do the whole S30 hatch with some left over.  But thanks for the tip about the compressed seal.  It makes you wonder how much of the time the hatch stays closed relative to the other doors, and unless you're a 'soccer-mom' that shops often, it might not get used as much as the driver's door.And since it's made of modern materials, I would expect it to be  fully-functional after being in use for only a few years (less than 40....)

2011-kia-sportage-work-concept-interior-

• 2 weeks later...

Darn.  I was trying to  order one, and I saw a message saying that they will not be doing any business from 2/16 - 2/22

Wow.  $39 for the one door seal, plus 25 days to deliver.  and then the computer thinks I live in

AFGHANISTAN.

I think I will order domestically.