IGNORED

Z Garage Lift

Steve49841

Thanks Dave:

I think I'd go with the EZcarlift. Compact storage, good array of alternative uses and I really like the fact that the two sides are tied together. Makes the platform far more rigid. I also like the fact that is is mechanical rather than hydraulic {less to mess with and less to go wrong}.

I can actually use a platform to stand on - so I can reach the top of my 3/4 ton Silverado Crew Cab when it comes time to wash, clay bar, polish and wax. I've been using a step stool and that is a pain. Also for when I'm cleaning by Car Trailer..  I like the 26" lift heigh too.

Maybe I'll order one for Christmas..

Carl B.

I used the race ramps for quite awhile but still had to crawl under my cars so I pulled the trigger on a Bendpak. If you can afford any type of lift is is like wrenching in heaven! My ceilngs were tall enough for their smallest XPR-9 but that Max Jack would fit in a shorter ceiling. 

post-3522-0-52473300-1418141733_thumb.jp

post-3522-0-16521600-1418141748_thumb.jp

I have lift envy.... and shop envy....very nice.  I'm beginning to think what I really need is a bigger shop building so I could have two of everything.  Hey it is Christmas...and I have been good this year.

I know the feeling concerning the envy. You have to be careful trying to keep up with some of the guys here unless you have a pretty good cash reserve. :)

when it comes to tech-savvy advice and super z know-how, i love you guys.

when it comes to peeking into your shop setups, i hate you guys.

guess it's good to have something i can dream about... one day a freestanding metal bldg. w/a tig welder, lathe, mill, english wheel, tubing bender - the list goes on...

and my z is green with envy too ;)

Sorry about that, didn't mean to cause envy. I'm an old fart at 57 so it took a long time to get to this stage. I had three snowmobiles but my boys moved out of state so I sold them and a nice trailer and bought my lift with that money. I wouldn't have been able to do that out of "general funds" because according to my wife there are more important things to spend money on...

• Like 1

post-19255-0-89374800-1418253511_thumb.j

This Rotary lift is 10'9" at the highest point.  I bought it used for $2,500 installed.  It would be possible to either cut it down a bit, or recess the feet into the slab, if you are only talking 12" or so.  However, if you only have 8' ceilings that route would not be viable.

I started looking for a lift after I completed my 30x32 attached garage/shop two years ago.  I had the same concerns about the lift being in the way depending on what I was doing.  I considered 2 post lifts first, but decided I didn't like the posts being in the middle of the garage AND the lift was not moveable.  I thought about the scissor lifts, but like you, realized that the middle of the car would not be accessible.  Finally, I looked at 4 post lifts and that is what I settled on.  They are more expensive, but depending on how much ceiling room you have, it can actually create more space than you have now.  I bought a BendPak HD-9XW (9000 #) along with a rolling jack and casters for the lift.  The lift can be moved anywhere in the garage I want it using the casters (even with my Z project on it).  I can "park" a car on the lift, raise it up, and park another car under it which gave me an extra parking space.  Like I said, it is a more expensive option, but I think you gain more space with a 4 post lift vs. any other type assuming you have the headroom.  I have 10' walls, but used scissor trusses for the roof, giving me 13.5 feet to the peak of the ceiling.  After two years of owning the lift, I'm very happy I went with a 4 post.

No matter what you decide, any lift will be better than laying on your back all of the time.  Just make sure the lift you buy has been certified (ALI/ETL).  Many of the cheaper lifts are not.

Steve

Good guess! Yes they are 10 foot doors and my ceiling is 11' 3". I had to get the dual channel tracks for the low height ceiling and used a jackshaft opener. I can raise my z and all cars to full height but my truck and any SUV not quite all the way but enough for my 5' 9" body to walk underneath. Had plenty of vehicles on it since I put it in last winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered an EZCarLift on the 15th and it arrived on the 19th. Every aspect of it is very high quality. Works like a charm...

The picture is taken with the lift only 20 inches up - it will go to 26". Shown with the optional Vinyl Floor Tile Protectors - under the feet. Very stable.. Full easy access from either side or either end.

EZup20inchs.jpg

• Like 1