IGNORED

Here I go again

Smokey

Originally posted by Smokey

Based on what I have read here, I think it better to walk away from this one. The rust is caused by battery acid. The damage strtches clear to the top of the inner fender where the paint is beginning to peel off. It is onto the frame rail, but I think the inside is OK. The worst part is that it is in the seam between the firewall and wheelhouse. The seam sealer has even begun to decay letting in the nasty acid.

Hi Smokey: From your description and the pictures posted today, it looks like the battery area is in need of major work to get at all of the areas where the acid has migrated. It appears that the battery support will need to be removed, and the seams where the panels join will need to be opened to repair the damage. Metal will probably need to be cut out and new metal welded in, and then everything re-assembled and painted. You might want to talk to a body shop for a REALISTIC (no sugar coating) estimate of the costs involved, but I suspect it's not going to be cheap.

In addition to looking here, I also went in for a second look at the pans. There is some minor surface rust forming at the trailing end near the seat crossmembers. This looks to be dormant, but would need to be sand blasted to remove.

If you are talking about rust that hasn't eaten deeply into or through the floorpan in large areas, this is the kind of rust that you could repair yourself (if you wanted to do do) with a few days of work and a modest purchase of POR15 materials. I (myself) would not shy away from the car for this issue

With the acid damage in the major structural portion, and the need of suspension work, along with the seat, radio, etc... I think I need to walk away from this for the price that he is asking. I would not even be willing to offer him half of the 11K, which would only insult the man.

I believe that you had mentioned early on in your examination of the car that it has been for sale for some time. Only you can decide the value of the car to you. If you don't want to let go of the idea of buying the car.....maybe show the pictures (or the car) to an expert body shop and get a realistic estimate of COMPLETE repair costs for the battery area issue, factor in the cost of the other issues you found and present a purchase offer to the owner, with figures to back up the costs in bringing the car to satisfactory condition. Sometimes people place values in their car that reflect the love they have for the vehicle more than a realistic appraisal of it's actual value on the open market. He may be offended at what you could offer, but since you are probably not the first person to consider buying the car, by now he's probably realised that his $11K price is way out of line. If your offer is realistic based on the vehicles condition, if he is offended by it, then problem is himself, not you. You shouldn't beat yourself up for being realistic. That is the Buyers job.

Thanks again Carl. I have not talked to the owner yet. I will prolly talk to some friends in the body shop I used to work at, and see what they say about the battery repairs. Just a lot of work to get the car where the owner says it is already.