IGNORED

Here I go again

Smokey

Focusing master :beard: but it is driving me nuts :stupid: . I need the car so I can sleep, its been 5 months now.

Anyway, the engine compartment was untouched during the repaint, as the motor was left in. The fenders were removed, along with the doors, and hatch. Everything was jambed. The underside is untouched, and rust free. During the repaint there was no body work, or rust repair done. The only reason it was painted was the original paint was getting dull (Confirmed by Rock). Rock is going to let me bring it by his shop and put it on the lift and smoke it over together.

But, believe me, I will make a very careful decision since it is a LARGE chunk of cash. And worst of all, the wife has already said if I get a Z, she gets a second cat. I like having the one, but TWO of them?!?!?!?! I'll have to live in the garage--Hmm not too bad of a deal.

Originally posted by Smokey

Focusing master :beard: but it is driving me nuts :stupid: . ....................... Rock is going to let me bring it by his shop and put it on the lift and smoke it over together.

But, believe me, I will make a very careful decision since it is a LARGE chunk of cash.......................if I get a Z, she gets a second cat. I like having the one, but TWO of them?!?!?!?! I'll have to live in the garage--Hmm not too bad of a deal.

Believe me, I'm not the master, just an impartial voice on the outside to try to balance the "Z lust" that can take over in times like this. BTDT!!

Having Rock to agree to go over it is a great opportunity.

There are worse things than two cats in the house, but I think of them at the moment. (Just kidding, I have 3 cats, including one that is diabetic and needs insulin shots twice a day!)

Hahaha! Our one we just found out has allergies. We have to give her Kitty Claritin to keep her from snotting all over herself, and us. Kats are fun.

I really do like my cat. I just would rather only have one at a time.

Originally posted by BambiKiller240

Believe me, I'm not the master, just an impartial voice on the outside to try to balance the "Z lust" that can take over in times like this. BTDT!!

Having Rock to agree to go over it is a great opportunity.

There are worse things than two cats in the house, but I think of them at the moment. (Just kidding, I have 3 cats, including one that is diabetic and needs insulin shots twice a day!)

I meant to say, "I can't think of them at the moment!"

Kinda spoils the joke when you leave out words!

Well, I just got back from looking at the car. When I drove up, I was ready to trade even for my 02 Tacoma. It is just that nice. The paint is very glossy, and is on par with a brand new high end car. Perfect match for the factory orange (918 I think). The wheels are clean, and will shine up right nice. All the emblems are there and mint. The bumpers each have a small dent in the centers, but not really noticable. The windshield is free of cloudiness around the corners, and all the rubber is fresh (and present).

We opened the car up, and sure enough was brand new carpet in the front floor boards, and new in the trunk. The jambs have been sprayed, so it all looks new. The steering wheel needs to be restored, as the wood is very dull and lifeless. The radio does not work, but there is a '70 radio ready to go in the console. The center console is scratched from the radio replacement, but a new console is provided. A new leather boot is affixed to the shifter but not clipped to the console (waiting for the new one). The driver's seat is shot. The vinyl is torn is several places and you pretty much sink to the floor when you sit there.

He let me drive it around town and then over to Rock's. I put about a hundred miles on the car round trip. I drives pretty good. The motor is strong and smooth, without the typical Z smells. It started right up each time I cranked it. I noticed that the front end seemed to wander over about 45mph. The brakes were strong, and after they warmed up, quiet. The shifter needs new bushings BAD. I had a very hard time finding 3rd gear. Sometimes I could not tell if I were in gear at all.

Once I got to Rock's we began to tear into the car. The trunk is clean and rust free, as are the floor pans and firewall. The dash is original and uncracked. All gages work (except the clock). The A/C is there, but does not work.

The engine was clean, and did not have any major leaks. The oil smelled good for a year old. There was no sludge that I could see from the oil cap. The frame rails from the top looked good. No rust on the driver's side. The passenger side is the problem. Only a little frame rail rust, but it is from the battery acid. There is surface rust on the firewall, inner fender, try (top and bottom), and the wheel house. All of this is solid and would not give when poked. It will need to be sand blasted.

Underneath, Rock says these are the best rails he has seen in a LONG time. They are straight and rust free. No signs of rusting from the inside out either. The floor pans are perfect too. However, it needs all new ball joints, and tie rod ends. Could also use sway bar bushings. No leaks under the engine, or trans. The rear end is wet, but is not dripping. Prolly an output shaft seal.

Wow!! I had a lot to say about that car. Short version--for 11K I would expect the battery rust to not be there, the seat fixed, the trans rebushed, and the air to work. Rock says about $1000 to $1500 to get it right. I am taking time to think this over, but I imagine I will offer $8000 for the car. Hopefully not go over $9500.

Any suggestions???

Hi Smokey:

If you get the car, have a shop fix that battery rust ASAP. On the 73 that I owned in the early 80's I spent almost two years chasing it at home with naval jelly and acid neutralizing solutions pumped into the seams and holes in the frame rails and never did get it all. The corrosive white powder would always reappear in the seams of the frame rail and in all seams where panels were joined. Finally, I had to take it to a restoration body shop where they opened the seams and actually removed the frame rail, treated the metal properly and reassembled all while the car was on a frame machine so that eveything was correctly assembled to factory measurements.

Figure 2 grand to get it right, as estimates somehow always end up on the low side. JMO

OK, gonna talk to this guy again this weekend. Gonna try and set up a time to look at the Z again, at his house. Based on what I have posted about the car, is there anything I need to be looking for, or asking him? I will go with the intention of pulling the battery out and checking to see how much damage has been done, and get some pictures. I will also be checking out the condition of the original wheels and hubs, along with the radio.

I am thinking about asking for $7500 to start with. This price is considering the $1300 to get the suspension straightened out, and A/C either working or removed at Rock's. Figure about $1500 to fix the battery rust issue. $200 to fix the driver's seat, and add a few for rebushing the shifter. That represents $3000 in work that needs to be done to get it to where he has valued it. I figure we will negotiate from there.

How does that sound? This is a very strong contender in my search for a Z. For the right price I think she will have to come home with me.

I went out this morning to take a second look at the battery tray, and adjoining areas. Based on what I have read here, I think it better to walk away from this one. The rust is caused by battery acid. The damage strtches clear to the top of the inner fender where the paint is beginning to peel off. It is onto the frame rail, but I think the inside is OK. The worst part is that it is in the seam between the firewall and wheelhouse. The seam sealer has even begun to decay letting in the nasty acid.

In addition to looking here, I also went in for a second look at the pans. There is some minor surface rust forming at the trailing end near the seat crossmembers. This looks to be dormant, but would need to be sand blasted to remove.

With the acid damage in the major structural portion, and the need of suspension work, along with the seat, radio, etc... I think I need to walk away from this for the price that he is asking. I would not even be willing to offer him half of the 11K, which would only insult the man.

Here are 2 pictures of the rust damage in the battery area.

Pic 1

post-3408-14150792537268_thumb.jpg