IGNORED

Steel wheels for OEM hubcaps.

The osteopath

Good morning- new member, first post.

After a long search I finally came across my Z project- a low rust, relatively unmolested 71 240z.

It came wi horrible mags, and I'd like to install the original factory hubcaps (already have a set). Are there any aftermarket steel wheels with proper bolt pattern and offset? I don't need OEM wheels- but I definitely want OEM fit.

Any thoughts?

Andy

Aside from bolt pattern and wheel size, what the OP needs is the diameter of the part of the wheel that the hubcap clips into. I can measure this later today, although I have 1973 wheels which are 4x114.3mm, 14x5" (yours are probably 4.5" wide) and I have the orange-centered, "Z" hubcaps. Do you have the hubcaps with the large chrome D in the center? Here are a couple pics:

70-71 style:

post-29189-14150830502049_thumb.jpg

72-75 style:

post-29189-14150830502299_thumb.jpg

(sorry, don't know why those are posting as different sizes - here's the link to the site with both pics: Details About 240Z Hubcaps)

It may just be more correct/easier to source original wheels that have the correct size, width and offset.. unless they're prohibitively expensive.

PS, OEM steel wheels have an offset of +15mm (at least for the 1973) so I believe you'd need a 14x4.5 et15

PPS - welcome to the forums, and we'd love to see pics! Sounds like you found a great car.

Edited by bacarl

Osteopath,

Try the search function on the site and you may find more information. An original steel wheel for your car is part number 40300-E4400 which is a 5-J x 14 size. 40300-E4600 is a 5-1/2 J x 14 optional wheel originally offered. They look like the pictures I have attached - black exterior / silver interior. Originally, the tire offered was a 175 SR-14 tubeless radial or a 175 HR-14. I'm currently not aware that this size is manufactured anymore, however 185 and 195 sizes are available and they fit fine. Wheels were encoded with a date of manufacture. If you are particularly nit-picky, you would want a wheel set date stamped prior to your month and year of manufacture, but once the hubcap is on, no one will be able to discern. I seriously doubt that Nissan has these wheels available so your search is probably going to include eBay and junk yards. Look out for rust. I had my sets refurbished several years ago for about $75 / wheel.

post-4148-1415083050255_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150830502689_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150830502823_thumb.jpg

Edited by 26th-Z

^I believe the 5J wheels became available in 1972. The OP's 1971 car would have been built with 4-½ J x 14. Although if your very early cars have 5" wide wheels, I could be convinced I'm wrong! My info comes from Arne and he's pretty good with wheel/tire topics. That being said, I don't think the OP is overly concerned about originality, he just wants the OE hubcaps to fit the car.

Yep, I agree. The 4-1/2" wheel is 40300-E4100. My US parts book shows just the 5" and 5-1/2" and my Japanese parts book lists the 4-1/2" wheel for the L20 series cars. It shows the 5" wheel for the L24 series and the 5-1/2" wheel for the PZ series. In terms of fit for the wheel cover, I have never heard of a successful fit for anything other than the stock steel wheel.