IGNORED

2 1/2" shop built exhaust sounds great

rossiz

all done on a closed course, with professional drivers.

obey all posted traffic regulations at all time.

not responsible for accident or injury caused when used for un-intended purposes

your results may vary..........

;)

Rossiz - I have a similar set-up and I love the sound. If you find that the transmission tunnel gets hot with the resonator close to the driver side, I'd suggest you install a Thermo-Tec Heat Shield as per followng post:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/exhaust-s30/48907-reducing-cabin-transmission-tunnel-temperature-thermo-tec-heat-shield-exhaust.html

For me, the heat shield greatly reduced the trans tunnel temps.

Thanks Sean - I saw your post a while back and the heat shield looks pretty cool (pun intended).

I'm actually getting ready to replace the clutch, so I'll have the tranny out and that would be a great time to do a heat shield. The tunnel itself only gets warm on my car, except for the ashtray, which gets HOT inside. I only use it for a cup-holder and to hold my iphone while driving, and melts ice and roasts the phone. I think this is because the ashtray sits metal-to-metal on the tunnel and so transmits the heat. the rest of the tunnel is covered in sound insulation mat, which has a foil component (radiant barrier) and a thick felt under my carpet, which also has a heavy rubber backing. All this helps the tunnel heat from entering the cabin, but I'm not excited about the heat cooking my carpet and sound mat over time... always best to stop the heat BEFORE it gets through the body metal :)

I'm actually going to be revising my exhaust system a little - the original design had the muffler in the tunnel lying flat and the resonator at the end, and my home-made trial worked really well with zero drone. The new system reversed that, which necessitated a short muffler and there is some drone between 2K and 2,500 which is starting to bug me. I'm going to get a longer muffler and a shorter resonator and do the swap. The resonator is also polished SST, so it should look good with the tip welded right to it, and it will show a lot less in the rear wheel well.

• 1 month later...