IGNORED

Targa California 2014, who went?

gogriz91

I was signed up, PAID UP, and tuned up, and my wife got sick on Wednesday. It was either stay home with her and the kids, or risk divorce. This was the first Targa I've missed, and it almost pained me to see that video-but thanks for posting. If she gets sick next year I'm taking door #2.

The guy that puts it on (the disorganizer as he calls himself) is one of my clients. I can tell you that at the level he is running it, it is a lot of work. He has sponsors, clothing, events (laps at race tracks, viewing car collections along the way etc). It is a 3 day event and he caps it at around 110 cars-all pre 1975.

My recommendation would be to start with a one day, low production event to keep it simple-schedule a lunch somewhere along the way. You need to put together a group that really likes driving, and you need some roads that you know and that are challenging. It is a non competitive event but we drive pretty hard.

One thing I can't emphasize enough is that you need to exclude idiots. I'm not saying all teen agers fit this but you get the idea. If you have a successful event it will grow over time in size and scope. I wish there were more of these throughout the year. They always seem to load up near April here so it's hard to get many runs in. The Targa is definitely my favorite run of the year, which is why I was so bummed to miss it.

Edited by tlorber

Yeah...the wife and I went. We ran it in 2012 as well. Both times in our '88 911. My 260Z is still on Bridgestone RD-150s...not conducive to aggressive running!

The event is open to 1975 and older cars but any car that is a continuation of the '75 and older version (think 280Z, Fiat Spider, etc) then that is also allowed. They also let in other interesting cars on a case-by-case basis (think 80s M6 et al). Go here:

Targa California

The Petrolicious video is from 2012. Yes, there are lots of 911s. There are also Alfas, BMWs, Camaros, Mustangs, Vettes, Datsuns, MGs, Triumphs, etc. A real feast for the eyes and ears. There are some pretty creative builds on these events.

There are many different tours/rallies put on all around the country in many different price ranges. We don't go for the big $$ ones...Targa was 310 to enter. Hotels, food, gas, etc are of course additional. I HIGHLY recommend this event.

A point to keep in mind is that this is a NON-competitve event. Targa Newfoundland and NZ are FULLY competitive on closed roads. On Targa Cali you can "tour" or run as fast as your driver's licence can handle!

Lee

Edited by 767driver

The local Z car club and the local Porsche club both do road rallies during the year. I'll probably do one of those when it cools off again to get some idea of how much organization is involved. I'm familiar with the 90/10 theory (90% of the work is done by 10% of the participants) and am willing to put the time in since there are some great roads and great tracks around here and Fall can be really nice, colors changing and it's cool at night.

I've watched the petrolicious video and some others individuals recorded, there's also a one hour show on cable that's come on the last two years about Targa Newfoundland which I don't think any state in America would let run. I'll add the California event to my bucket list although I'd want to take my car which means either driving it or trailering it out there.