IGNORED

1970 240z on CL in Socal.. Damn!

ZcarFanMan

there must be some place on the net that automates craigslist searches and emails you

when "70 240z" comes up.

Hoping not to hijack the thread with this but there are some very handy search options like searchtempest out there: SearchTempest Online Classifieds Search - All the Classifieds. One Search.

The best I've found is this cargraph site, which combines listings from craigslist and ebay and shows recent sales: Datsun Z-Series in USA - all cities - Graph of Prices

Condition is what determines if a car is a good buy or not. If it actually looks like a very well cared for 72 with an actual 60K miles and not obvious rust issues and most important - unmolested - $12,500.00 would be a give away price. if the paint is faded and the interior is sun baked..it might be a little high… At any rate today - if he advertises it and holds out for the money - he might be something closer to $16K.

Carl B.

ZCarFanMan - #8992 is right in the middle of a series of A/T Z's… Look the car over carefully for signs of it having been converted to standard trans. Transmission Oil Cooler fittings in the bottom of the radiator, no support on the firewall for the clutch line, maybe additional weights on the rear of the differential, two sets of point in the distributor..

Doesn't matter - other than it would be interesting to know if they slipped a couple standard transmission Z's in the series of A/T's they were running.

Carl B.

Carl,Thanks for your expertise and estimate of worth for the car I described. I still have not seen the car so can't say if it's as described or not. The pictures that I was shown indicate that it is as described. A shot of the dash showed it in undamaged condition so I don't think the interior is sun baked as you mentioned. I would buy the car but I would need to sell my 78 or leave my wife. I will update when I get to inspect the car and tell you what I have decided, the wife or my 78 or both. LOL Thanks again. JB

ZCarFanMan - #8992 is right in the middle of a series of A/T Z's… Look the car over carefully for signs of it having been converted to standard trans. Transmission Oil Cooler fittings in the bottom of the radiator, no support on the firewall for the clutch line, maybe additional weights on the rear of the differential, two sets of point in the distributor..

Doesn't matter - other than it would be interesting to know if they slipped a couple standard transmission Z's in the series of A/T's they were running.

Carl B.

Interesting. I'll look into that. Thanks for the heads up!!

BTW, I think I would rather work on this 70 Z over the 72, I don't have the time or $$ to do both. I'm thinking to sell the 72 with a lot of parts I bought for it.

motor has Matching #'s

New seat upholstery,

new seat foam (bottom section only for both seats)

New carpet kit from MSA,

tail lights

interior side panels and dog legs

door panels,

door weather strip from MSA,

Front and rear bumper overrider bars

has new shifter inner boot & cover

a 77 280z motor can go with it.

Got the head pulled it, it needs a rebuild and the 280 motor was going in till I got to the 240 rebuild.

New motor mounts

new tunnel diamond vinyl from MSA

Steering wheel refinished Polished clear

Whats the ballpark figures I should ask for something like this?

Here's the car:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/open-s30-z-discussions/44180-what-buy-1972-240z-vs-1977-280z.html#post380995

OK, the car is still up in reno & I had him check it out for a 4 speed swap. It was swapped to a 4 speed. It has the oil cooler lines capped off and the center part of the console removed for the 4 speed. Bummer.

So now I have a few questions.

1, Should I put it back to A/T for value sake? If so, what's involved? (is it a hassle?)

2. how much are consoles going for, either A/T or 4 speed?

3. Could that be why the clutch,brake & gas pedal look lightly used?

Either way I'm glad to own it.

Thanks.