IGNORED

H4 headlight replacement

Akir-ra

What is special about the ones labeled "automotive relays?" Are they water resistant or something or are they just a grade that is commonly used in lots of automotive applications?

Originally posted by Inf

What is special about the ones labeled "automotive relays?" Are they water resistant or something or are they just a grade that is commonly used in lots of automotive applications?

Good question. I think they all do the same, it just a matter if the switching (i think) in them. I've sold the same relay for a car/boat/tractor and house eletonics. Go figure.

dont know about the USA but automotive relays are cheap as chips here can get them at any automotive parts shop around $10 aus only need two to do your upgrade lot simplier than trying anything else to do the job

Not yet. Radio Shack has Single-Throw relays, but I'm really looking for a Double-Throw. I want to run one individual wire to each headlight and for each low beam and high beam. If I use the single-thro, then I have to split a wire going to each headlight or use four relays! Which I don't want to do. Still have al ittle bit more checking to do this week.

I'll keep you posted.

I was researching which bosch relays and relay holders to suggest to you, and then I saw the PainlessWiring site.

Screw it.

#30815 - For H-4 halogen lights *

$60.00 at AutoZone or you local eqivalent.

I think you'd blow that much gathering up the parts. This kit has it all ready for you. 2 relays and holders, fuse and holder, all the wire and new headlight connectors all made up and ready to go.

Why bother?

Just something to consider.The z use two seperate circuits and a non-shared fuse for each headlight.Think about if the relay goes bad or a stone hit knocks out a headlamp and blows a fuse.You don't want to suddenly be in the dark at 60 mph!!Also some relays are made for intermit duty not continous duty.I would think the bone yard is full of relays that would work.Also we say the car is 12v but somewhere around 14+/- would be more correct.As far as switches go ever notice the car makers put the switch on the ground side?That gives more life to the switch as putting it between the positive and the "load' puts more strain on the contacts.Thats why all your gauges work from a ground.Even your points switch the coil on the neg side.

A little more food for thought Kmack.If you find a suitable bone yard relay not only is it low cost but,Should the day come you need a replacement ,myself I would prefer finding a NAPA type store and ask for a relay for only example: 80-87 chevy truck than trying to track down a radioshack #OUaintGOT 1.Don't create a future problem.There will be enough of those!!

• 3 months later...

Has anyone tried the new Sylvania Silver Star headlights? I put a set on my 810 coupe and the are a more than considerable improvement over the stock lights. Sylvania claims that they are as bright as HID lighting. They are available in just about all configurations. They don't require any modification to the lighting system, just plug them in! Definately worth looking into!