IGNORED

[2014] What did you do to/with your Z today?

Arne

Started to replace My mismatched fuel injectors (came that way from previous owner) with some new Standard FJ707Ts from Rock Auto. I was expecting about a two hr. job. Turns out they were mismatched because the PO couldn't remove 3 injectors because the bottom screw was rusted frozen to the original metal insulator. Thought I was going to have to remove the head it was so bad. Two days later, PB Blaster, snapped screws and bolts, Dremmel tool and drill outs +more than a few very descriptive words, the job is done. Also replaced all the injection hoses and cleaned/painted the entire area. Huge performance difference!

post-30359-14150830592574_thumb.jpg

post-30359-14150830593186_thumb.jpg

post-30359-14150830593786_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The black pearl lives again!!!!!

I sold her to buy a new car that was safer for my son and it took 2 years to get her back but.... I did :)

Turns out the oil pump shaft had been rotated carbs had been screwed with and radiator now leaks but hey I sold her

So today I remedied all of those besides carbs cause that's a bi*** and took her for a spin first time since I got her back and first time for her in almost two years

Couple backfires loss of power and hesitation on acceleration but dammit I did it :)

Philip, aka Blue, came by the house to visit today since he's in town on business. We worked on setting the needles and balancing the SUs on the 260Z and found that the valves were in BAD need of adjustment. When compression in some cylinders increase by over 50%, the valves are in BAD need of adjustment.

Philip spend a lot of time playing "Ask for the tool Steve doesn't have." Fortunately, I was able to dig up everything but the remote starter. Then again, I wasn't crazy about my remote starter when I used it in the past.

The 260Z is running a lot better now, thanks to Philip. He is a credit to the Z car community.

EDIT: I forgot to add early on we took the Z out to warm it up and get lunch. I couldn't pass up the chance to take him over to the Dawsonville City Hall & Georgia Racing Hall of Fame (same building).

• Like 1

Drove down to get my Z inspected for new license plates since I moved to California where my Z originally came from.  There is a nice hill not far from here, my z was singing as it went up that hill it was running so good at 75.  What fun!  I flat trailered the Z to California for the move and by odd coincidence my new neighbor spotted it on the freeway as I headed for my new place.  He has since come over and looked at it.

• Like 1

The 'Triplettes':

My garage needed a major clean, plus I got a free HazMat cabinet, so I spent the morning cleaning the garage and organizing.   I parked the Datsuns in the driveway just for fun.  The next door neighbor came out and said,"oh, you have the Triplettes out".  I thought it was funny so I think it will stick, now referring to them as the triplettes (although the yellow one is a '71, so not really triplettes.  Of course the '70s are fraternal).  If you look closely you can see the fourth one.  Not sure what I will call them when that one is finished.

Rich

post-18091-0-48236200-1416776332_thumb.j

post-18091-0-28647300-1416776361_thumb.j

post-18091-0-94118300-1416776411_thumb.j

post-18091-0-11813200-1416776454_thumb.j

• Like 1

It has been couple of weeks since the Hilton Head Concours but I thought I would share what the Japanese car did versus the Italians! On November 2nd the 13th annual Hilton Head Concours d’Elegance was held at the Port Royal Golf Course. The Z was invited after a successful Pinehurst Concours this past May. The car was placed in the Sports Car- International class with 3 Ferraris and an Alfa Romeo. The 3 man judging team not only checked the cars for any flaws but you also had to demonstrate that all the lights, horn, wipers, radio and engine worked. The Alfa and one of the Ferrari Dino’s received Palmetto Awards (2nd and 3rd) and the Datsun 240Z received the Best in Class award.

There have been several additional Concours that have invited Z’s to their event. In each of the following events the Z has been very successful and again raised the flag! Those Concours d’Elegance events are: Pinehurst, Keeneland, Forest Grove and most recently Hilton Head Concours.  The Forest Grove concours did have a specific class for the Z but the other three did not. But just because those events did not does not take away from their events and actually helps to place the Z against other world known sports cars. Those “other” cars included Ferraris, Alfas, Porsches, Jaguars, BMWs, Sunbeams, MGs and Volkswagens. The Z prevailed over all of these other brands! 2014 was a great year for the recognition of a car that changed the sports car world in the fall of 1969.

The concours doors are wide open for the Z and Japanese cars in general. There are numerous Datsuns, Toyotas and Hondas that will now be accepted into these events. Many of these events are now reaching out trying find Japanese vehicles for the venues so if you have one or know someone who does, urge them to get their cars out of the garage and entered into one of these events.

I recently talked with an agent for Hagerty Insurance who commented that he foresees the value of Japanese cars going up in the next year or two. That is a good sign of recognition and the future.

post-1369-0-89942800-1416786752_thumb.jp

post-1369-0-38963900-1416786834_thumb.jp

post-1369-0-07501500-1416786917_thumb.jp

post-1369-0-83071900-1416786981_thumb.jp

post-1369-0-47231400-1416787091_thumb.jp