IGNORED

Off to ontario!

northernz

I am taking my car into Whitehead's on October 17. If your car is in the shop I will give you an update. FYI- Mike did mention he is off the week before thanksgiving. Hopefully, that will not result in further delays.

Thanks Colin! I am hoping the car will be back to Whiteheads this week. Not sure how long they have to wait before wet sanding and polishing. Once Mike gets it back it will be at least 4 weeks I think. What are you having done to your car?

Mark

Thanks Colin! I am hoping the car will be back to Whiteheads this week. Not sure how long they have to wait before wet sanding and polishing. Once Mike gets it back it will be at least 4 weeks I think. What are you having done to your car?

Mark

No problem Mark. Whitehead replaced my cam about 5000 miles ago along with reconditioned rocker arms. I am now getting a bit of valve train noise around cylinder #1. I hate to put it away for the winter like this so I am taking it in hopefully for a simple fix. Wish me luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mark, I am new to this site, and have just finished reading your entire thread. I purchased a 70z ( 4986 6/11about 2 yrs ago in Nevada and brought it back to my home in Thunder Bay Ont. After seeing the fantastic work done to your Z and topped off with that beautiful blue paint job, I started getting an ulcer for you , when I read you where planning on driving it back to Edmonton. Not sure when the last time you have driven through Northern Ont. was, but believe me your delays may have been a blessing in disguise. You would surely have been more disappointed having that paint job scarred up by road construction, logging trucks, long gravel portions of the highway etc. I hope to have my Z done by the spring, and am already sweating on how I'm going to get from my driveway to the first " shine & show" without getting a cracked windshield or paint chips ( LOL ) !

• Like 1

Hey Bbear, That's the conclusion I've come to as well! As fun as it would be to drive back, I would have been sick about all the hazards you mentioned! I didn't really want such a concours quality finish for just that reason.I plan to use the car as a summer time daily driver, as well as track days at Castrol Raceway and I know that first blemish is going to hurt! I would love to see some pictures of your car.Looks like you had a nice solid base for a refresh!

Mark

Hey Mark, I know the feeling of that first scratch, chip, but I think it would be easier to deal with if it happens on the track. I have several photos ,but have not downloaded from my camera and will still have to figure out how to post. I acquired the Z , totally by chance. I went to Nevada to help a friend bring back two cars he had purchased and while standing around in the sellers yard ,he noticed me looking over a 280 Z, and said he had a better one to check out. He then brought us to his " special garage" and there it was , vin 04986. Build date 06/70. It had been in storage since 1982 ! Unfortunately , I have had to let it sit for the last 1.5 year , but began to disassemble last month. Although it started and runs I want to do a complete refresh. And to my complete surprise and delight it looks like that's all it will be! I have it completely stripped down and as you will see from the photos it actually is totally rust free and mechanically sound ( considering its age). Should I upload the photos at this thread or to my photo album Bbear

Wow, that really is a great find, for such a low VIN for it to be rust free is incredible! I would start your own thread to document your progress and post lots of photos. I know that everyone on this site would love to hear the story of your find and watch the progress of your refresh!

Mark

Hello Mark, looks like some light at the end of the tunnel ! I am heading to Toronto next week and if I have a chance I'm going to drop by Whiteheads to see if they can help me out with a few items and hope to get a look at your Z.

Then out of country until Christmas . When I return I will start the rebuild and start my thread ( if I can figure out how to LOL) as I'm not to handy with computer.For now I will upload photos to date in my album.

I travel to Calgary each summer ( to visit my son) and will definately go to Edmonton to see your blue beauty streaking by the competition at the track !

Bbear