IGNORED

stuck in a restoration.

superj243

I've been trying to restore my brothers 1981 280zx it seems that the mass air flow meter has went bad. (well im guessing thats the problem.) I've cleaned the gas tank, put a new fuel pump in it, new fuel filter, rubber gas lines, sparkplugs, cut out the catalatic converter, adjusted the timing, new coil, and a new air filter, but it still wont idle and run right. ive ran a full tank of gas with injecter cleaner out of it so im pretty sure its not the valves or injecters. somtimes it backfires and sometimes it just quits. doesnt have the power to climb the hill to get it out of my driveway witch is a shame because i just put new tires on it.:cry: Can someone confirm that this is the problem? And if it is is there anyway of replacing it with a more modern/cheaper alternative?

thanks in advance for all of your help.

Define the current state of the idle. "Not right" doesn't give any clues about what's happening. Have you confirmed that there are no leaks in to the intake system? All air must pass through the AFM. Any leaks at all will affect the way the engine runs. Even leaving the dip stick out will have an effect.

When you depressurize the fuel system, be carefull if you remove a hose to do it. The system can get up to 36psi. Not saying it will have that much pressure, but what pressure is in the system will spray all over the place and if you are unlucky, in your face and eyes.

I have heard of some people activate the cold start injector with a 9 volt battery to release the pressure. I like living dangeroisly and just loosened the hose clamp on the filter, covered the hose with a old towel and pulled it off the filter.

One other tip, release the fuel filler cap to make sure the tank has no pressure in it.

Chas