IGNORED

stock exhaust header 240z

does anybody know where to get a stock exhaust header ( downpipe ) ? Or an immitation once that's the same as orginal. I don't want the spaghetti alternatives..

If somebody has the measurements of the stock downpipe that would also be good.

edit: sorry mods this needed to be in the exhaust section!

Edited by bartsscooterservice

I've not seen reproductions, your best bet would probably be to hunt for a used one. Easy enough in the Northwest US, I wouldn't have the faintest idea of where to start looking in your area. I'm not sure but it might be worthwhile to buy a cheap one from the US and pay an arm and a leg for shipping, just something to look into.

Yes - have them make it locally. They should be able to use your existing flange - but make sure they extend the new pipes up past the top of the flange - just as the original was made. This assures that the header pipe seals properly to the mating Exhaust Manifold. Without the small pipe extensions - it is easy to blow out the mating gasket if one of the three nuts works its way lose.

Some muffler shops cut the old pipes off Near the existing flange, but below it - then weld new pipes down from there - the problem with doing that is - the old pipes left just below and just above the flange - blow out next if they are weak to begin with. So ask them if that price include complete removal and replacement of all the old pipe sections - if the old pipes have any weakness at all.

An NOS 70-72 Exhaust Header Pipe - if you could find one for sale - could cost as much as $350.00 or more {271.5 Euro} here in the States. Good solid used one's can easily be $175.00 to $225.00 USD {135 to 174 Euro}

Note - The 73 Exhaust Header Pipe will only work with the 73 Exhaust Manifold - although the Parts Catalog lists the 73 Part Number as Superceding the 70/72 Part Numbers - they are not interchangable.

A good muffler shop Could "modify" a 73 Header Pipe - to replace a 70/72 Header Pipe. They would just have to extend the two pipes down about 4 or 5 more inches..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

Yes - have them make it locally. They should be able to use your existing flange - but make sure they extend the new pipes up past the top of the flange - just as the original was made. This assures that the header pipe seals properly to the mating Exhaust Manifold.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks for the info Carl.