IGNORED

PCV Hose Replacement

Pretty sure Black Dragon has those in cloth braided hose - they just sent me a new catalog but I can't find it. I'm a little disappointed in the way my stock repro braided hoses look after five years. The ones at the car shows always look so damn perfect.

Couple weeks ago I spent way to much time online looking at hoses for a project. Remember seeing a silicon reducer hose somewhere (what is it, 3/4 to 5/8"?) and thinking it would make a perfect PCV hose, sort of expensive but no more than the braided one. Silicon would be good since it can take heat - the hose is close to the exhaust manifold. You could make one out of two pieces of hose and a reducer coupling or hose splicer, cheaper than buying a reducer hose. Goodyear also makes a nice-looking EPDM heater hose in various sizes good for 275F or so, I bought 6' of it from Summit for my hook-up.

The compound would be more likly be Nitrile or Fluroelstomer (Viton) rubber. Both compounds have little problem with fuel or oil vapour. Silicone is not compatable for fuel or lubricating oil and will swell and deteriate quickly.

Chas

It might be a multilayer construction. Fluroelastomer on the inside for chemical/oil resistance and cost, silicone on the outside for strength and durability. Multilayer is how fuel line is made, if you get gasoline on the outside of your fuel hose you'll see that it really doesn't like it and will get soft and a little gooey, and bleed black material on to your hands.

There was a pretty good discussion on zcar.com about this a month or two ago.

Here's how I would do mine if I hadn't bought the cloth braid one: Get 5' x 3/4" length of this (about $35 at Summit)Hi-Miler Blue Heater Hose | Goodyear® Engineered Products

Got some of that 1/2" hose for a coolant bypass experiment.

Then get the 3/4 to 5/8' rubber insert reducer (about $3.50 at Summit or the auto parts store). You'd have enough hose left over to do the 3/4" ID water hose on the right side of the engine. It's not fuel-rated (nitrile) but it's EPDM rated for 300F so should be ok. It's just moving some funky fumes, not pressurized fuel.

But the Gates hose would be cheaper - probably just as good except 250F not 300.

While the engine is at the machine shop the breather tube has been removed and I am having the block portion tapped with a 1" pipe thread. This will allow for AN fittings and Stainless hose to be used. Problem solved with brittle hoses that can't take the heat..

As far as that hose have you tried your local Nissan dealer? 11828-P7100

11828-P7100 - Nissan HOSE

I wonder why Nissan decided that it was a good idea to make the two ends of the tube different diameters in the first place. That's a neat idea you got going there with tapping the block.

I've not tried finding a replacement at a Nissan dealer. Finding a stock replacement is easy... I was hoping for something better.