IGNORED

Tire/fender clearance

FrankieZD

I put a set of Konig 17" wheels on my car . I got them from Motorsport...they are made especially for early "Z" cars. On hard right turns the left rear tire hit the inside fender.

I was looking into springs/shocks etc but a friend pointed out something odd.

When standing behind the car looking toward the front you can see the tire sticking out a little on the left. On the right you can't. This is telling me that the left wheel is further out (from the center of the car) than the right.

Does anyone have any idea how this is possible & what can be done.

Thanks.

post-23513-14150824162677_thumb.jpg

That's a very pretty car you have there. If you suspect a wheel is further out on one side, I suggest you get the car onto a lift and thoroughly check the lower control arms and all the bushings. Bad shocks and/or springs might give you a bit of decamber but should not create a lateral shift. With the car on a lift, raise and lower the suspect wheel to see if you spot movement/play around any of the bushings - inner and outer.

On hard RIGHT turns the left tire rubs?

On my car, the passenger rear tire rubs the wheel well worse then the driver's side.

We talked the other day, I see you learned to post pics-your car looks great.

The wheels look good on the photo. I have been interested in these for a while, but keep reading issues about rubbing.

How much is sticking out a little?

It could be bushings. If the rear section holding the control arms has shifted to one side it would also change the toe-in on the rear wheels.

Are the inner lips on the guards rolled? That can be enough to make the difference.

Out of interest: What tyres are you using?

Chas

The wheels look good on the photo. I have been interested in these for a while, but keep reading issues about rubbing.

How much is sticking out a little?

It could be bushings. If the rear section holding the control arms has shifted to one side it would also change the toe-in on the rear wheels.

Are the inner lips on the guards rolled? That can be enough to make the difference.

Out of interest: What tyres are you using?

Chas

The tires are out on the left about 1/4". It will be going to the alignment shop asap.

The tires are Khumo 225/45 17".

I'll let you know what happens in a few eeks.

Most likely the car was hit on one side and the body was repainted incorrectly. Unless things are really screwed up, its rare to have asymmetrical rear track. Any wheel spacers installed?

No spacers but the car was restored. I had a set of IMSA flares on it. We removed those & replaced the lower 1/4 panel but it looks right. I will measure the center to fender on both sides when we get it to the alignment shop.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the tire problem was fixed by adjusting the camber.

The alignment tech checked the control arms.very familir with Z's and all looked well.

My rear camber is adjustment was altered years ago with the 3 hols in the top of the strut were made in to slots. At the time the car very lowered with the interpart springs. Very stiff & lowere it 2".

It looked great but very harsh ride and the spoiler in front kept getting damaged. I had installed the rear camber adjustment kit from MSA but it never worked well. Noisy over bumps and I had the towers modified for adjustment. Anyway......

The tire no longer hits the fender but now I want to replace the springs and all MSA have are the "progressive Eibach" springs. I have heard of level issues and other problems with these. Someone said to go with Tokiko (where do I get them?)

Please let me know of your experiences with springs. I want the car about 1" or so lower. Stock height looks like ****!

Thanks again for all your help.