IGNORED

Antenna Rebuild / Restore

JLPurcell

Everything @Namerow said above is true.

With the finisher nut completely removed there is signal which did not, in my experience, break-up or become static-y.

For those that have "missing antenna nut fingers" take heart----your antenna will function without them.

After an extended drive at varying speeds and over rough roads, the "fingerless" nut reception sounded completely normal.

I agree with Namerow that the "fingers" in the finisher served more than one purpose.

They help give durability to the plastic cone material as it would withstand side flexing better, would assure another electrical contact, as well as center the mast.

Attached are a couple of photos of the innards of the mast section showing the  typical copper or brass "spring fingers" which slide along each section as the mast telescopes in and out which maintains signal continuity.

DSC00970.JPG

DSC00972.JPG

Next are a couple of photos showing the cleaned finisher nut where ALL remnants if the plastic cone have been removed from the groove in the nut. (sorry for the photos---not easy to get a clear image--)

DSC00976.JPG

DSC00977.JPG

Next are photos of an original finisher nut on the left- and on the right, Steve's finisher cone dry fitted to the nut---it fits perfectly with only a very slight undersize to the diameter of the groove---

Steve's cone is made from a modern plastic and should last a long time. The profile is slightly different from the original, but it is quite close.  The robust thickness should help with durability as well.

DSC00993.JPG

DSC00994.JPG

More to come once Jim Smirlies arrives today to assist----:)

• Like 2

So ---- to remove the fingers from the nut---

DSC00995.JPG

Our old friend Mr. Heat, visegrips to hold the nut and needle nose pliers to remove the "fingers". The small screwdriver is to clean the groove in the nut of the torched plastic that remains once the "fingers" have been extracted.

Heat the nut until the plastic starts bubbling and give the "fingers" a tug with the small pliers--it will come right out. Stringy bits of melted plastic too. Hold the "fingers" in the flame again and it will burn off all the remaining plastic.

Repeatedly heat the nut and scrape away the molten plastic from the groove until it is all removed.

DSC01006.JPG

Squeeze out a gob of black weather strip cement. Using your small screwdriver or a toothpick, twirl up the cement and apply it to the groove.

Place the "fingers" on the end of your pinky and insert it into the plastic cone. Check to make sure that it is centered and carefully place the nut over and apply light pressure as you confirm that the fingers and the cone are fitting into the groove without being off center or deformed. This might take a stab or two to get right--- but no worries--just back up and go through the steps again without applying any more cement. It will still be sticky enough to seal the cone.

DSC01007.JPG

DSC01023.JPG

Finished assembly---not as beautiful as Jerry's  truly restored pieces, but it is what I had on hand to demonstrate

Many Thanks! to Steve Nixon for the opportunity to do this

His rubber bits will help restore your antenna to a long life of operation and pleasing appearance.

• Like 4

A quick check of Steve's online store website shows the new antenna hardware parts will be offered as two separate order items:

Black top for finisher nut @ $25.00

Antenna ball 3-piece kit @ $40.00

Add the already-available fender-top rubber seal @ $20.00 and your Harada antenna will look (to the outside world, anyway) as good as new.

Suggestion for Steve:  Offer all of five these parts together as a kit for, say, $75.00.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2018 at 7:40 AM, Namerow said:

A quick check of Steve's online store website shows the new antenna hardware parts will be offered as two separate order items:

Black top for finisher nut @ $25.00

Antenna ball 3-piece kit @ $40.00

Add the already-available fender-top rubber seal @ $20.00 and your Harada antenna will look (to the outside world, anyway) as good as new.

Suggestion for Steve:  Offer all of five these parts together as a kit for, say, $75.00.

this week ending on 2-9-18 will be offering a bundle kit for $75.00 plus $8 shipping. 

Black top for finisher nut 

Antenna ball 3-piece kit 

fender-top rubber seal 

Send me an email at orders@240zrubberparts.com with your email address  and I will send you a paypal invoice  once your kit is ready. 

Edited by nix240z
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, nix240z said:

this week ending on 2-9-18 will be offering a bundle kit for $75.00 plus $8 shipping. 

Black top for finisher nut 

Antenna ball 3-piece kit 

fender-top rubber seal 

Send me an email at orders@240zrubberparts.com with your email address  and I will send you a paypal invoice  once your kit is ready. 

Steve, go ahead and invoice me for two sets. Thanks JLP

• 2 weeks later...

39 minutes ago, JLPurcell said:

I hope member is happy with the results.

Beautiful work Jerry!

I'm sure the owner will be very happy with your efforts and you should be proud of your workmanship.

Steve's contribution with the needed rubber parts is invaluable.

Now--- if we could just find a supplier to reproduce the antenna masts!

First, I called Harada of America and spoke with a company representative about "re-producing" the masts. He knew of the antennas (an image of one is on their website) and allowed as how the company is still quite proud of them historically, as they were among the first retractable units.

http://www.harada.com/en/innovation/history/1960.html#inner_contents

He explained that a "reproduction" did not fit Harada's business model. A polite, but very firm "No."

Then I sent a PM to Kats requesting he contact Harada in Japan---which he did and he posted the result. Another dead end.

Contact with the right small Asian manufacturer of these telescoping tube mast assemblies could result in a reproduction  that is exact and affordable.

Edited by Zup
  • Like 3