IGNORED

In need of help please...

If your door pillar and dash tags aren't correct, then what would be? The VIN usually follows the frame, and the tags match the VIN. I've heard that the VIN might be stamped on another part of the body also. Not sure where.

Does any of this matter? Sounds like you're putting an exhaust system on a car that you won't be able to title and register anyway. Could even be arrested for owning.

Good luck. If you have it all figured out, then what is the question? Just tell the muffler shop what to do. Sign a waiver if they need it so that you'll take liability for not having a converter, since they are federally mandated.

There's no way to answer your question since you have a car of unknown origin. My impression has been, in Oregon, if the tag on the door says "Catalyst" then the car has to have a catalytic convereter. If you want to take a chance with federal law, go find a tag that says "No Catalyst" and stick it on there. The shop is going to go by the tag, not what you tell them you think is right.

Edited by Zed Head

Not sure what your state laws are. In Missouri, if a car is 1982 or older, it doesn't have to have the converter replaced. I had a leak on my 80 and had the shop cut it off and put a straight pipe in it's place. So far it hasn't caused me any problems. I just called a buddy of mine who owns a garage and "does" exhaust also. I thought it was 30 years of age that "exempted" cars in MO, but he said no. So if you have a trusted friend who is a mechanic, he should know state laws.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE.... ALOT of reading. She's been running really good for a couple weeks now. I've just been busy with new job so haven't had a chance to update. There is some things I still need help with.

DAY 1

I finally figured out what was up with my car. The previous owner swapped the dist. out so when I had to I put the bolt for the right side of the bracket in the same spot he did. For ****s and giggles the other day I pulled it out and set the screw to the other side of the bracket, centered the left side up, and set initial timing to 10. Started it up and it idled and reved under no load perfectly. I got in the car drove slowly off and it was running good and has all week. last night i replaced the belts because the alt belt was to long and it wouldn't get fully tight and today she's running a little rough. Back to popping some and idles a bit rough and I can smell gas under acceleration (that's usually when it pops). I'm thinking I need to adjust timing again with having correct tension on the belts.

If anyone can get me some pics of their maf i would greatly appreciate it. i need to figure out where the sweeper arm should be with the car off. I need to rebase it. also I need to figure out (if it can be explained) how tight that spring/gear should be. PO messed with it and didn't mark factory settings.

DAY 2

So I redid the timing. Initial I set a 8° and put distributor dead center(left adjustment side), right side is all the way in the "up" spot. I disconnected the vac advance hose, started it up and let it warm up.. It idles at 18° 20°. Is that fine because it done run and drive good, exhaust smells like exhaust, normal color(it's cold here), and no fuel smell. What degree should it be at idle with out vac advance?

COUPLE DAYS AGO THINKING..

ok so I have been doing some research on rear diff. but I would like some clarification. from what I have read my 79 5-speed does have the r200 in it as does my 8/81 turbo automatic. Is this correct because if it does then there is no need for me to waste time swapping the whole rear end out.

next problem. i got all the struts/shocks, sway bar bushings/endlinks, both out tie rods, driver side inner replaced. I cannot get the pass inner out of the center link. I don't want to remove it(center link) because its still pretty decent but I am thinking I will have to. The problem is I cant find one for less than $250. Next I was thinking of swapping to rack and pinion but then i would have wasted money on all 4 tie rods and sleeves. so I am not sure what to do. will my 81 turbo rack and associated parts work on mine. both cars do have power steering.

CURRENTLY...

I have decided to pull the rear end anyways on the other car. It has less miles and I am going to clean the whole rear up and painted nice then put it in mine. One thing I did notice today when I was looking is the 81 turbo has actual CV axles and mine doesn't. I have beefy axles with wheel joints. Which would be better for me to have?

thanks for the help

P.S.

If anyone needs parts from a 8/81 turbo, automatic, 2 seater, with t-tops(blue bags and grey tint) let me know. I have already stripped some stuff and still some more but just ask. Oh and yes the turbo is gone already.