IGNORED

Fitting 240Z bumpers and Valences to a 280Z

EuroDat

Great write up and a superb final result, EuroDat.

BTW, did you do the work on the van in the background in the "after"  pic? That turned out nicely as well!  :rolleyes:

Yikes!  I totally missed that at first.  I was thinking, "What's he talking about?"  Then all of the sudden I realized that wasn't light reflecting off the van.  

Great write up and a superb final result, EuroDat.

BTW, did you do the work on the van in the background in the "after"  pic? That turned out nicely as well!  :rolleyes:

Unfortunatly no. Thats my next door neigbour's van. I only get to hear how hard if is to have the best job in the world😕. His father owns After eden and he is also in the family business. He likes the R&D most. Especially the "test fitting". Photo shoots for the new assortment would run a very close second.

post-25317-0-46125600-1445533065_thumb.p

• 2 months later...

Mike,

Update

We have been playing with the design a little. My first design was mounted in top of the frame, but that meant you would need to remove the 280Z indicators and the frame support. This design would require 240Z / 260Z indicators undr the bumper.

The second design is under the indicator support in the box section. This way you can drill holes through the support and mount the bumper bracket undrr the indicators. It's a pita determining where to drill the holes because you drill from the top. I'm trying to make a cardbourd template that you can place on top to mark where the holes will be.

The next thing that I want to make is a bracket for a tow hook. Now the air-dam and extended grill are fitted, I can't use the old tye down brackets. This new bracket will fit where the old bumper shocks bolted to the frame. You can than screw a tow eye into the bracket for towing the vehicle.

Its fallen into the background with christmas and all the family activities, but Im planning to get back to it this week. Draw my templates in Acad and compile them for the watedjet cutter.

Once I make some progress and photo's Ill let you know. If you are still intrrested, Ill add you to the list.

Sounds good. I like the idea of keeping the 280 indicators. I assumed I would lose the tie down location due to the valance style (yours) I will go with.

The tow hook idea sounds good too. I'm not against having a dedicated hook through the valance either...

Maybe a bar that bolts across the front behind the grill using the existing bumper mounts could be designed to attach both the bumper mounts and the tow hook...

Thats it exactly. I would like something that you can screw in when needed and store in the tool roll when not. The bracket will have something like an M20 female thread so a bolt with a tow hook (eye) can be screwed into it.

I am basically copying our Renalt. Since its about 250kg heavier than the 280Z the tow bolt should be strong enough. Google "Renault 8200519463" for an idea.

Now trying to make a bracket with as many contact points possible to spread out the "jerking" stress/load from being towed. And making it a bolt on addition, not something you need to drill and weld to fit.

That is why I was thinking a cross brace between the two existing bumper shock mount points. From there, you would have the right height to mount the front bumper and add the tow hook thread point. Wouldn't need to as heavy duty as the examples below if it was steel versus aluminum. The crash bar in my 370Z performs this same function. Might work!

crashbar.thumb.jpg.4b7ce91df9fb1fa547eae

Z34FrontBumperAluminumCrashBar.jpg.fd21c

• Like 1

I haven't had much time lately so any progress has been slow. I did manage to cut out a template to do some test fitting and determine where bolt should be mounted. The top bolt will need a spacer behind it to compensate for the height difference, but it fits nicely.

IMG_1592.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_1597.JPG