IGNORED

Reproduction S30 parts NLA.......

9teen7t240z

az240z,

So far, bumpers are the only parts of a Z that I haven't quoted for chroming. My chrome plating is all done overseas, and I only ship by air. Unfortunately, with the bulk and weight of bumpers, the freight costs of shipping them seems to eat up much of the savings that would normally be realized by using my service. Having said that, I do have one set of bumpers that I am currently having replated as a "dry run" to determine actual costs of doing them, and will gladly keep you informed of the results when the job is finished. I'll send you a pm and will stay in touch with you.

Has anyone else come up with any NLA parts that they'd like to have reproduced? I hope to turn this thread into a poll within the next few days in an effort to whittle down the list.

Mike

I would think the center console with all the appropriate covers (fuse panel, ash tray etc.). What about a dash replace skin with correct dash texture out of modern sun-resistant material. Agree, with all previous comments of suggestions. Clear light covers should be made from lexan not cheap plastic. Also light covers rings should be SS. I would also second the rubber seals for ths air cleaner. Being ignorant, who is Les? My apologies for the lack of knowledge.

Newton,

Thanks for the input. I agree that the trim rings for the light covers should be SS, as aluminum would be too hard to maintain it's luster and would be subject to more dents/dings from rocks, etc.

By Les, we were referring to Les Cannaday of Classic Datsun Motorsports.

Mike

Mike.

There is a company making SS bumpers for the 240z. I have spoke to them in the UK, but they dont make the Bumperettes and dont plan to. Bumperettes are hard to come by nowadays and there probably would be a market for that.

Chas

In case it hasn't been mentioned:

We need Heater Cores for the 240Z. A couple of us have looked everywhere here in the US - MSA seems to get one every once in a while, but they are ...$300.00 AIR. The supplier that used to supply them here for $69.00 - no longer makes them. The 260Z/280Z heater cores are larger and won't fit in the 240Z heater box.

FWIW,

Carl B.

I could use the rubber seals for the air cleaner, tried stick on weather seal but that came loose.

Looked at duplicating door rubber parts using rubber compounds that are dual part like epoxy. Saw on the net how to do make your own mold. eBay sells the dual part rubber or whatever it is called.

Edited by Mikes Z car

While reading the various posts, it seems that one or more of the members are either working on or already completed the headlight lens covers. I've also heard from one member who is working on the stainless steel trim pieces, for either the Gnose or the stock Z, or both. Consequently, I'm getting the impression that either the headlight lenses and trim pieces are available now, or will be soon. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I really don't want to "re-invent the wheel" if someone has already invested time and money into reproducing these parts.

Mike

I've been a member of this forum for a number of years and during that time, I've heard many members say they were in the process of replicating the headlight lenses and/or the SS trim. No one has. In the computer world, it's called "VaporWare". Good intentions and promises, but no product. I'd suggest that you go for it if your manufacturing connection is capable. I don't see it as stepping on anyone's toes.

Others have mentioned just making the SS headlight cover trim and using existing lenses from MSA or Black Dragon. That would be another dead end. The MSA & BD aftermarket lenses are made to fit within the shape of the headlight nacelle while the original clear covers with SS trim are larger and overlap the nacelle, fitting on top of it, and secured by the SS trim and attachment hardware.

Dennis

I've been a member of this forum for a number of years and during that time, I've heard many members say they were in the process of replicating the headlight lenses and/or the SS trim. No one has. In the computer world, it's called "VaporWare". Good intentions and promises, but no product. I'd suggest that you go for it if your manufacturing connection is capable. I don't see it as stepping on anyone's toes.

Others have mentioned just making the SS headlight cover trim and using existing lenses from MSA or Black Dragon. That would be another dead end. The MSA & BD aftermarket lenses are made to fit within the shape of the headlight nacelle while the original clear covers with SS trim are larger and overlap the nacelle, fitting on top of it, and secured by the SS trim and attachment hardware.

Dennis

I agree with this but at what price point could this be accomplished and still be profitable? Sure, even used ones are selling for astronomical prices at present because of the "rarity" but after there are a thousand cars equipt with reproduction pieces they wont be so unique and demand will decrease along with the amount someone is willing to pay. It really is a limited market that is IMHO risky, considering the development costs involved. Stainless bezels have been plagued with splitting problems as well from I suspect overtightening. Thermalforming appropriate lenses seems easy enough but would have to be farmed out to someone who has the needed equipment. The limited Z market would most likely not justify the expense of molds and thermalforming as a singular venture.

There is good reason nobody has continued to successfully reproduce these parts but having said that, I still hope someone actually does it.

In case it hasn't been mentioned:

We need Heater Cores for the 240Z. A couple of us have looked everywhere here in the US - MSA seems to get one every once in a while, but they are ...$300.00 AIR. The supplier that used to supply them here for $69.00 - no longer makes them. The 260Z/280Z heater cores are larger and won't fit in the 240Z heater box.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl,

Another great recommendation. That one should be relatively easy to duplicate and not too expensive to produce.

Dennis

Dennis,

Thanks for the more detailed description. I have a contact in Rialto who owns an original Gnose.....I'll try to contact him this weekend to see if he wants to volunteer his "equipment" as a demo. (LOL)

Mike

How about the little chrome cap on the top of the arm rest in the 280's? It is plastic with chrome over it.

Michael,

Unless and until existing cores dry up completely, having that piece re-plated is probably a more cost-effective solution. I am doing a handful of those pieces, from a 240z, for $6 or $7 each. If my memory is correct, the 280z piece is a bit bigger......so maybe they will go $8. ea., but there is no way that I could manufacture them, chrome them, ship them here, and sell them for $8. each.

Now, if they were as rare as the Gnose trim pieces.........:)

Mike