IGNORED

Reproduction S30 parts NLA.......

9teen7t240z

Happy New Year, CZCC,

I hope that I am not about to open Pandora's Box with this thread, but here we go anyway:)

I'd like to get everyone's input/thoughts/recommendations on S30 parts that are no longer available that might generate sufficient demand to explore having them reproduced. As many of you know, I am currently doing restorative services (mostly chrome plating) through a facility in Southeast Asia. This month, my partner will be going overseas to begin an exploratory mission to source factories that may be able to reproduce parts at an affordable cost. Obviously, we won't be able to source prospects for the full spectrum of NLA parts, so we are most interested in those that are in high demand.

In the past month alone, I've read threads suggesting things such as fuel bowl floats for SU carbs, aluminum door sill plates, and bumpers, and gear shift knobs. I know that there are many more parts that are impossible to find that may be suitable for reproduction. My thinking is that, after getting your input/requests, then I can start a poll in order to prioritize pieces to be targeted for reproduction.

I appreciate everyones feedback here, and, once again, Happy New Year!

Mike R.

Euro/JDM 240z tail lights. This one will fetch a lot of demand I feel because it attracts a lot of 240z owners and possibly 260z/280z who want to do the conversion. My original suggestion would have been the 240z series I fuse box cover, but that will only catch the attention of series I owners and is too year specific.

240z Door panels would be a nice one as well. If you could make it almost identical to the original, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in it especially if you could make it in different colors. I've been on the search for nice reproductions, but every time I find a set, they don't look like the original enough for me.

This suggestion might not be something you're looking to do, but if you could make a bolt and nut set that was nicely zinc'd and was EXACTLY the same as OEM spec for the whole car, I would be HIGHLY interested.

Edited by grretc
  • Like 1

Those are all excellent suggestions, grretc. I had already considered attempting the reproduction of complete tail light assemblies for the 240z's. The Euro/Jdm could probably dovetail off of that, as I suspect the primary difference in the two would be the lenses.

As for door panels for 240z's.....I thought that they were already being reproduced. Maybe I'm thinking of the panel skins. One would think that it would much easier to reproduce the actual panels than it is to correctly repop the skins. Another good suggestion.

I'm always amazed that nobody has put together a complete nut/bolt set for the Z as of yet. Nothing is more frustrating than having to attach your new parts to your nicely painted body with old, tired, rusty hardware. That's another great suggestion.

Anyone else???

Phil, sounds appetizing. Pardon my ignorance, but is there a difference between the G-nose covers and the ones that were used for the stock S30's? And, if so, I assume the trim pieces were different as well? Finally, were the trim pieces for either or both made of stainless steel or aluminum? Any help that you can provide would be appreciated. (I always liked the look of the headlight covers but decided to go stock with my restoration).

Mike

Here's a few---

All the rubber gaskets for the air cleaner housing---one (2 total needed) for the inner at the air filter, and one between the housing halves.

Not sexy reproductions to make, but no one offers them, and nearly everyone needs them sooner or later when they repaint or powdercoat the air cleaner.

The rubber cushion for the clutch pedal standoff bracket near the floorboard.

All the rod and ball linkages from the gas pedal to the carbs, as the supply of them in good condition is drying up.

Phil, sounds appetizing. Pardon my ignorance, but is there a difference between the G-nose covers and the ones that were used for the stock S30's? And, if so, I assume the trim pieces were different as well? Finally, were the trim pieces for either or both made of stainless steel or aluminum? Any help that you can provide would be appreciated. (I always liked the look of the headlight covers but decided to go stock with my restoration).

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes the GNose bucket is longer than the stock bucket so different trim.

I have never seen any in person. Stainless would be ideal but aluminum would be less expensive. SS should be easier to cut out of a sheet then bend into shape.

I think a design with a clever way to hold off-the-shelf covers and fasten to the bucket would be perfect.

So since these headlight covers were originally an aftermarket item, I guess proper fit and appearance would be the objective? There would be no need to conform to original design? Also, am guessing that I'd need to find the respective covers, the frames, and the respective headlight buckets in order to give the engineers something to work with. Would you happen to have any close-up pics of the frames (trim), Phil?