IGNORED

Demand for correct 240z Bumpers

Hardway

I had the set on my AVATAR chromed back in 2000. When i got them back I masked the outside surface and sprayed rubberized undercoating on the inside to protect against future cancer. To this date the outside finish remains as it was back in 2000 and the inside finish has no rust. Finind good bumperettes that can be removed without breaking the mounting stud is more of a problem than a good quality finish on the outside. I live in central Florida on the Atlantic ocean where the humidity and salt air even eats the roadways up. SPACECOAST PLATING (Melbourne Florida) are a reputable outfit. Expect at least 6 to 8 weeks turnaround time. My 2 cents

Thank you for the feedback and awesome pictures Mike. I have done business with Cen-Tex before to plate some engine pieces for a '89 Turbo Trans Am I had. Their work was good as well as the price. I will have to look in to Speed Sport Chrome when I get ready to have mine done. A good job would definitely be worth the trip.

What I am really after is an opportunity to start getting bumpers made and provide a supply at reasonable prices for those who want the 240z style bumpers to put on their Z. I know the Euro style is very popular since it does not have the bumperettes but I want the bumperettes and I believe purists will to. I have nothing against SS but I would like find out what options are out there to have them made of steel and chrome plated, maybe off both! If that meant per se buying them done in steel along with their associated bumperettes and taking them to Houston for plating I would be open to it. Like any custom work in order to make it affordable a certain quantity would have to be established.

Hardway,Came across some reproduction datsun 240z front bumbers w holes and w/o holes.That's ebaymotors australia. www.ebaymotors.com.au

Type in" Datsun 240z front bumber" and they are listed offering the repro datsun 240z w holes and w/o holes 254.24 au w/o shipping but the ad says shipping worldwide,cost?

Don't know the quality of the product or the plating,tripple plating?They've been selling these on ebay for quite some time.Maybe someone in Austrailia on this forum has purchased the front bumber can chime in on the quality and fitment.

Hardway maybe you can pm them and inquire about reproducing the rear 3-piece 240z bumber w holes and w/o also?

Thank you for the info Eric. I emailed Rotary Phil about the bumpers and the possibility of making a 3 piece rear bumper along with the associated rubber strips and bumperettes. Once I hear from him and get some more info I will post my findings. I appreciate everyone's input on this and hope to move this forward. Stay tuned!

Just a quick update. I have not heard back from Rotary Phil yet in Australia. I did hear back from the Sales and Marketing Director at Group Harrington to see if they would consider making the over riders and rubber strips for them out of SS to make a correct US spec bumper package. I also have some feelers out to other contacts about the possibility of doing a run of bumpers and over riders here in the US. As I get more info back I will post it up.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mike W, Just curious, what did Speed Sport Chrome charge you to plate your 280Z bumpers? Also, do you happen to know what they charge to plate the '70 - '72 240Z bumpers? I'm sure that the 240Z bumpers must be a lot less since they are so much smaller and lighter. I know a lot of the members here with 280Zs have converted to the 240Z bumpers. I have been using Denver Bumper here in the Denver area for many years on my projects and like you with SSC, I have also been very happy with both their quality and their great service, so I'm curious to see what SSC charges.

Thanks

Lately I quoted some Japanese classic car companies, also Rocky Auto, basically the answer I got back: " stock bumpers are made out of scrap metal with some chrome on it " .. that might be true, considering the total price of the car back in the days. The bumper from harrington are made in Vietnam ( now also Thailand I read ) for cheap peanuts. I also think there must be a company in China willing to make copies...for far less money.

I am sorry but I have not had time to pursue this any further with the Harrington Group. They had wanted me to measure the bumper-ettes I have but for accuracy sake I wanted to ship them a pair. While looking for some to buy and ship to them I picked up another set of chrome bumpers and really have not put anymore focus on this. I really wish there was an American company out there that could start reproducing more sheet metal and bumpers for our cars. Unfortunately, seeing that they stamp out repop panels for Chevelles and Camaros in China I don't see it happening anytime soon.