IGNORED

My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

JDMjunkies.ch

• 3 weeks later...

I just read thru this thread and it is amazing. Keep up the excellent work there JDM, you'll have a truly rare specimen of the Z car.

Ah how i like to read other's build threads as well :D Thanks for the nice feedback mate, allways appreciate some kind words :)

No Big news since works keeps me occupied like crazy at the moment and a lot of other stuff going on. like for example got my new daily ride home:

DSC_0833-Kopie.jpg

And then got a package from japan with the seatrail for the bride histrix seat into the 240Z:

P1140471-Kopie.jpg

Next update this saturday i hope :)

Edited by JDMjunkies.ch

As regular reader, you might know i plan to bring a few panels and stuff to professional paint stripping soon so i'm preparing a few things. Talked to my bodyshop guy yves, about this and he recommanded me to open the fold at the bottom of the door to get all the rust removed and see how it looks inside. As he's the professional and i'm not i do whatever he says. First i needed some special tools. An Unfolding plier for bodyshops and a spotweld-romver drill.
P1140472-Kopie.jpg

So this is how i started. Rusty buttom of the door but otherwise nice (note pictures are mixed up from two different doors, so don't be confused, one is a lot better then the other door is..)
P1140474-Kopie.jpg

First removed the rubber sealing above the seal / fold with a small spatula. Then it looked like this:
P1140483-Kopie.jpg

Then decided to remove old rust, debris and paint with a scotch and brite CSD disk. This are brilliant for that kind of work:
P1140475-Kopie.jpg

This was the result:
P1140484-Kopie.jpg

Next i removed all the spotwelds with the drill (sorry, forgot to make pics) and then started to unfold the fold with the special pliers:
P1140478-Kopie.jpg

Worked out really great and after only 30 minutes the door looked like this (after another cleaning with the CSD Disk). So the doors are ready for paintstripping now :)
P1140487-Kopie.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah i know, progress is really slow tue to the fact i'm leading a training for engineers since three weeks and that means im working all day long. however it's done soon so i hope i find time to work on the lady again. And it's also very hot these days. exceptional hot so i prefer swimming istead of working :D  However, got a package from japan today with some nice goodies:
1) M.Speed japan Water pump pulley:
P1140718-Kopie.jpg

2) Aftermarket waterpump from M-speed:
P1140717-Kopie.jpg

3) And a nice set of corner-lights including the pigtails and seals. great deal :D
P1140720-Kopie.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working for my job like crazy lately and now i have a lot of overtime. So i decided to take one day off and spend some long overdue time in the garage :)
I've saved some money lately for bringing parts for Chemical dipping (See details below).
However i had to spend two hours yesterday preparing everything. removing small bolts and bits like the chrome trim on the taillight panels:
DSC_0935-Kopie.jpg

And removed:
DSC_0936-Kopie.jpg

Then i collected all t he parts from My garage and my second workshop at home and somehow felt i need to make one of these cool "exploded view" pictures. Always wanted to so this was a great opportunity :)
P1140757-Kopie.jpg

P1140764-Kopie.jpg

So i collected the parts from my two chassis and some more i bought. therefore a lot of different colours :) What we have is in total 23 pieces:
2x Doors
1x Roof
1x Front center valance
2x Front coner valances
2x Metal Headlight surroundings
1x Hood
1x Trunk
2x Taillight covers
1x Taillight center cover
2x Fenders
2x Access-flaps
2x Toolbox flaps
1x Hood cowl
1x Dashboard cowl
2x Mudflap metal pieces

And another pic:
P1140766-Kopie.jpg

Finally loaded and today i brought them to the specal company:
P1140769-Kopie.jpg

Compared to most of the companies they don't use Acid for dipping but a own mixture of Solvents. Different kinds of alcohol (Rum, Tequila and Whiskey maybe? :P) and they're quite famous. The advantage is that this solvend is 100% neutralized when cleaned with water at the end. so no corrosive leftovers are there at the end.
The friendly staff was quite nice and told me a bit of their process. they are like 4o people and a big part of their business they're dipping complete cars and a lot of big parts. My car will get a Complete paint- and rust removal, a rust passivating as well as a cleaning and then a be primered with Doltan 2k Washprimer to prepare from new rust while waiting to be worked on / painted.
I managed to take a shot from outside where you see a dipped Chassis from a different customer. It's not cleaned or primered yet. Should be able to pick up my parts within a month. This brings me a big step towareds the completed project, while this is still many years away...
P1140770-Kopie.jpg

• 1 month later...

Few days ago i brought my Z-Bodypanels to the Company "Meier Oberflächenbehandlung Rafz" which is specialized in rust and paint removal with an alcoholic / adhesive mix. They did a very nice job and the Doltan 2K primer let's you see damage, old welds and problematic areas while preventing from new rust. Perfect. Only mistake they made was they forgot to complete thre pieces of my delivery so this friday i will go there, pick up the rest of the panels and then make the complete layout shot again. The gold colour you see is actually the Doltan 2k Primer :)
The roof was in mint condition with no damage, old welds and most important - it never had a sunroof installed:
P1150163-Kopie.jpg

Doors have some minor surface damage but nothing problematic:
P1150164-Kopie.jpg

The smaller bits all were in great shape:
P1150160-Kopie.jpg

Had to put all the parts on the car just for fun :)
P1150162-Kopie.jpg

Finally looks a bit like a car again:
P1150165-Kopie.jpg

• Like 2

It's one hell of a puzzle getting that car back together, but keep going and you will get there :)

I try my best and i need a lot of time, but i'm happy that all the metal parts (except maybe the rear lower panel) now either have a replacement or the original parts have been prepared for minor tweaks at the bodyshop. So Metalwork (or preparation thereof) is now almost completed from my side and in the hands of my bodyshop. Now i can concentrate on the greasy bits, interieur and other stuff. but this will be fun too :)

"Meier Oberflächenbehandlung Rafz"

Easy for you to say... :P

Looks great. Almost over the hump. Once the body is done it all downhill from there...

Haha Meier is the name of the company owner and Rafz is the city where it's locatet. Oberflächenbehandlung means "Surface treatment" so basically:

" Meier's Surface treatment in Rafz" nothing complicated here :)

Yeah i hope so, now just need to forcy my bodyshop to get some work done it's been a few months since he worked on my particular car as these big projects always seem to be side-projects for small bodyshops.I hope work continues soon and of course i still have a lot of other stuff to adress like brakes and the Engine and stuff :)