IGNORED

Group Z Is Gone

John Coffey

It is sad to see those things happen.

To me it seems that people want a club that is very active and provides a lot for its’ members. Yet, it seems that very few members really want to make the effort to make these things happen. It takes a certain amount of effort to organize a run, set-up a car show, produce a newsletter and run a website. It seems that more and more people are not willing to put in the time and effort. I am not sure why that is, but is definitely having an impact on some of the clubs.

Also, there are very mixed interests in what the members want from their clubs. As an older Z owner, I am typically more interested in the car shows. I have noticed that those with the newer Z’s (350Z’s and 370Z’s) much prefer to organize runs to different locations. With limited resources, it is difficult to meet the needs of both. As a result, divisions occur and dissatisfaction.

At ZCCIV we are going through similar pains. In an effort to support the club and provide value for our members, we will be joining this ZCSD as a ‘sister club’. With this arrangement, we will receive their newsletter (which is the best on the planet) and co-ordinate events together. This way, with the smaller membership, ZCCIV can be appraised of what is going on in the Z world and still function in their local area. It may be what some of the other clubs need to do.

It could also be that we need to make some changes in how we operate. Typically, our groups meet at a diner and we have a sit down meal and discuss business. Maybe we need to change this up a bit. Again, at ZCCIV, we were having on average about 10 people at our diner meeting. A new member suggested that we meet at the In-and Out Burger for a more casual meeting the next month, and over 30 people showed up! I was amazed at the turn-out. It made me think that we need to do things a bit differently (although I do not claim to have any answers here).

Anyway, just thought I would post some of my thoughts. Perhaps, in time, Group Z will re-org and once again thrive in SoCal.

Peace Out,

Rich

Most folks didn't notice... GroupZ's last meeting was last night. They voted to dissolve and disperse the funds in the treasury. They died due to indifference mostly, but like any club, internal politics also contributed to its demise.

I was at the meeting. Group Z has not shut its doors permanantly. It was talked about but the treasury has not been disolved. We have some new blood on the board. Things are changing, with the idea to use facebook to kick around ideas for events and to do to more events instead of having regular formal meetings. This may or may not work but what was happening was not working and the club was fading. There is still a small but good group of folks over there. We will have to see how this plays out.

Scott

I hope what burkeys says is true. I have always wanted to attend a meeting but with work and school on Thursday, i was never able to make it out there from Santa Monica and im sure im not the only one. Maybe some casual weekend events like motorman7 suggested will help revive the Group Z club. Have one in El Segundo, maybe at the old BRE Shop though i think its just a regular body shop now... Actually there is the automotive driving museum down the street from me in El Segundo that I'm sure would love to host some events (great little museum, recently had a exhibition honoring the Z and BRE) Would love to help organize a meetup.

...people want a club that is very active and provides a lot for its’ members. Yet, it seems that very few members really want to make the effort to make these things happen.

I discovered that fact running a TR-6 Club in Phoenix back in the 1980's. As long as I was willing to do 90% of the legwork, setting up rallies and such, lots of TR-6 owners were willing to show up and have fun.

If I were going to LAUNCH a club, I think I'd find six like-minded people, and say, "Ok, each of you has to agree to organize ONE EVENT" in the coming year. And we dissolve the club in one year unless you are willing to re-up, or find someone to take your spot.

Group Z has not shut its doors permanantly. It was talked about but the treasury has not been disolved. We have some new blood on the board.

Scott

As a past member and officer, before I moved, I am glad to hear the club still has a heart beat. Group Z is the oldest Z (I am sure someone will want to dispute that but......) so it would be a travesty to see it disband. The culture of car clubs have changed along with the interests of the new club members. That is not a bad thing but it does create a new challenge to broaden the interest of the club to new events and interests. Finding volunteers to offer their time to serve as an officer is an ongoing problem for all clubs. I am sure the club has weathered previous storms so hopefully they can find a solution for this one. I wish all of the members, past and present, the best.

Our club is the same. A core of selfless excellent people with enthusiasm and thick skins keep it going.

What saddens me is the noticeable difference in interests between the owners of the different versions of Z's. I think it would be best to have different clubs for each genre. Maybe GroupZ could do this?

Most folks didn't notice... GroupZ's last meeting was last night. They voted to dissolve and disperse the funds in the treasury. They died due to indifference mostly, but like any club, internal politics also contributed to its demise.

John im somewhat surprised with this post. There were atleast 20 people there last night, including myself, and as Burk mentioned things are still very much alive. As a matter of fact I plan to help run Group Z. Anyways, I'll let yall know when we have our next event!!

post-23584-14150820759235_thumb.jpg

Interested in Group Z? Please join our Facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/143636212344319/

We will try to keep up coming events and meetings posted there. I am working on a Angeles Crest Hwy Run. Tentatively for Saturday, November 3rd. Follow the FB page for more details, I'll post more on the Group Z FB page as I soon as we have more details! Thanks everyone for your input and words of support!

Scott