IGNORED

5 speed knob reproduction?

Decoy12

Yes, it will not be possible to get 2D drop-shadows to perfectly mimic a 3D feature. My existing art does a pretty good job of reproducing it around the letters, but suprisingly, the circles and shift pattern are actually more difficult.

there are slightly darker "shadows" that outline the numbers

Mike, Thanks, I got it now.

EScanlon is right in that it is caused by the fact that the numbers and shift pattern are molded and have height to them.

Those shadows are actually white paint on the sloped sides of the raised numbers and lines. From looking at the pics that EScanlon posted, it appears to me that they molded (or maybe vacuum formed) the black part out of black plastic and then painted all the white features on by hand. Then they potted the top part in a clear material.

I wasn't there when they made that thing, but here's what I see happening...

First they mold the black plastic disk.

Then they fill (inlay sorta) the outer two rings with white paint and wipe or buff off the excess resulting in a quality edge.

Then they paint the raised letters.

Then they mold the top dome in a clear acrylic or epoxy.

All for about $1.29 :)

Actually, I believe the entire disk was molded in clear, with the letters and pattern in relief. The characters, rings and pattern are hand painted white and buffed off as noted, and then the entire underside is painted black. Simple and with a minimum of separate steps.

Edited by Arne

Actually, I believe the entire disk was molded in clear, with the letters and pattern in relief. The characters, rings and pattern are hand painted white and buffed off as noted, and then the entire underside is painted black. Simple and with a minimum of separate steps.

And that's why I miss not having access anymore to a 3D printer! :)

Thanks EScanlon for posting the pictures. I can see the relief in the plastic making the drop shadows. Hmm.. Wonder if a mold could be made from one. The 5 SPD map is so rare I gather that one wouldn't want to risk destroying a map trying to copy it though.

mgood,

I don't know if this is worth mentioning. I saw a green 4 spd shift pattern, just the pattern itself no knob, in a box of shift knobs/parts last weekend at :

Datsun Z Doctor

504 E 43rd St Ste A, Boise, ID 83714

phone 208-376-8727

Can't vouch entirely for the condition as I was looking for a B&W 5 spd pattern and wasn't paying that much attention. I don't imagine it will sell soon. Make him an offer and see if he will sell it? He has worked on my car a few times.

Mike