71 240Z. Muffler position. Vertical or horizontal? - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

71 240Z. Muffler position. Vertical or horizontal?

Featured Replies

My Z is going into the muffler shop at 1:30 today. I've noticed most early Z's have the muffler more vertical than horizontal. Is there a reason for that or is it personal preference? I even showed the muffler shop guy some pictures of Z's with the muffler hung vertical and he says that it looks bad. I do prefer to hang it horizontal, but I don't want to find out later that hanging it horizontal creates issues with something else.

on the 260z the bumper shocks are in the same area so its an easier fit to mount vertically. I dont think it looks bad at all, mount it however you want

For a single tip exhaust, I prefer the looks of round-can mufflers back there, similar to the original. Are you having the exhaust done custom, or using the MSA kit?

  • Author

Custom, from the end of the header to the tailpipe. No resonator, with stainless steel magna flow and single SS tip. I'M ok with the muffler showing, I just wondered if there was a specific reason for hanging the muffler vertical.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
...I just wondered if there was a specific reason for hanging the muffler vertical.
Nope, just fit and/or personal preference.

I remember seeing a Z as a kid and thinking the vertical muffler placement was "cool", since I'd never seen that before. :)

  • Author

So here it is. I think eliminating the resonator was a mistake. Since this has an automatic transmission, I think the louder sound, sounds crappy. If this were a manual, it would sound great going through the gears. At least I can always add the resonator. Or maybe a manual transmission....Hmmmmmm.post-18334-14150820116884_thumb.jpg

I had to use a resonator with the Magnaflow on my 240Z, but more because mine was too loud with the dual-outlet muffler.

I have resonator and Dynomax 2.5" muffler, sounds mean and not too loud. Muffler is diagonal (cant fit it otherwise)

After driving my car about 3K miles, I couldn't stand the noise at about 2200 to 2700 RPM. Took it to a Mom & Pop shop, replaced from the header back with 2 1/4" pipe, placing a resonator in the center and a round muffler in back. The muffler was originally for a small tractor, 16 X 6 with center in & out finished off with a chrome tip 2 inches further than the bumper.

Bonzi Lon

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.