IGNORED

Upgrade Opinion Please!!!

rjsang

I was wondering from expert/experienced opinion, which upgrades should I get first? I want to do this in the right order so I don't regret getting one upgrade before/after another.

Also, I was wondering of what you guys think about the brands/packages that I'm thinking of getting and suggest any brands/packages that you know of that are good. I want the car to still be street legal (California), but be able to bring it to the track every now and then for some cornering fun!

- Suspension and Brakes: Arizona Z Car (Track-Pak)

- Triple Carburetors: Weber

- New Steering Column

- new paint and body alignment (body is not that bad, just misaligned in a few spots...)

- LSD upgrade

- wheels and tires

- sway bars

Brakes and suspension #1

I can only speak for Arizona Z Wildwood brakes-excellent quality and no regrets.

Remember, fancy suspension upgrades including coil overs will cause additional road noise-sometimes a lot. Nice pair of shocks and springs, urethane bushings everywhere will make for a great handling/safe car for part time track use.

In my opinion doing the brakes and suspension right the first time and doing them first is a good way to go because it's a lot of work and you don't won't to do it twice. Engine mods are a bit quicker and easier and less down time, so do them later. Doing the suspension and brakes right will hold up to any power level you want to progress too. Many guys go right for the power and can't stop the car with what they have-not good.

Good luck and welcome. Tell us more about your car

I'm a firm believer in addressing safety concerns first, its alot more important to stop then to go. Do brakes, make sure all your ball joints and bushings are good, then suspension. After that its all up to what you feel like making your priority, I have opted for ignition upgrades first if you are running points. What is your issue with your steering column?

I'd have to know a lot more about your 240Z - as it stands now.

How many miles?

Pure Stock at present?

The first thing to upgrade are your driving skills. The truth is, most drivers can't push a pure stock 240Z anywhere near its limits. A really great driver will take a pure stock 240Z and turn better times than 90% of the people running in higher and/or modified classes. Successful track days are really all about the drivers ability.

Past making sure the car is "safe" and in good mechanical condition - the first upgrade most older 240Z's need - is a compression test and then a good fresh valve job. Second would be a good set of S.U.'s that are tuned properly and aren't sucking air past the throttle shafts.

After that - I agree - Electronic Ignition and proper distributor timing curves and ignition advance.

Next - better brake pads and fresh rear shoes - there are several newer technology pad compounds available - start with them.

Next - good shocks and better tires.

Next - 2.25" or 2.5" free flowing exhaust

Next you have to decide what "class" you want to run in. Personally I think it is better to start in a STOCK class - and learn to be competitive there with a basically stock 240Z. Once you are running at the front of the pack in that class - then start adding modifications and moving up to higher classes. {that will also give you time to see other Z's in the modified classes and talk to the owners to see what they thought was important or not}

A stock 240Z will give you lots of warning before it lets go and spins off the track. A certain amount of body lean, lots of tire squeal.. Once you start upgrading the cars road holding ability - you get less and less warning that the car is ready to leave the road... So I would work on gaining seat time first in a stock Z - then later moving up.

But why add expensive modifications at all - - Why reinvent the wheel? Arizona Z Car, Triple Carbs, Racing tires, Suspension upgrades etc etc... ???? - - -- - Keep your Stock Z for pleasant weekends and road trips.... Then go buy a used race car that has everything already done, including a lot of the safety equipment alread installed - it will cost about less than half as much as modifying your car ... If you start Track Days etc in the STOCK Class - you'll have a season or two to find the best deal on a used race car...

Better still - your "stock Z" will retain most of its value if you ever need to resell it - and if you buy a used race car at the right price - you won't lose your shirt on that either.

Just my opinion...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

IMHO, in order:

Safety - fix everything under the car that is a safety concern (ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, chassis rust, bent parts, missing nuts/bolts, flexible brake lines, leaking anything in the brake system, engine, trans, and diff mounts, steering rack boots, u-joints in the drive and half shafts, wheel bearings, hubs, lighting, gauges, etc.)

Reliability - All the cooling systems, oiling system, electrical all works with no shorts, alternator and battery good, complete engine tune-up, fluid changes, etc.

Then move on to improving the cars performance:

LSD first - the single best modification you can do to improve lap times.

Suspension - Increase spring rate, upgrade the shocks, anti-roll bars, performance alignment.

Tires and wheels - light wheels and sticky tire compounds. A 205 width Hoosier A6 will grip far better then a 275 width Sears Roadhandler.

Body and paint.

Engine and trans mods.

I'm a firm believer in addressing safety concerns first, its alot more important to stop then to go. Do brakes, make sure all your ball joints and bushings are good, then suspension. After that its all up to what you feel like making your priority, I have opted for ignition upgrades first if you are running points. What is your issue with your steering column?

Nothing Wrong with the steering column, I just thought that I'd opt in for something a little stiffer for the upgrades...

I'd have to know a lot more about your 240Z - as it stands now.

How many miles?

Pure Stock at present?

The first thing to upgrade are your driving skills. The truth is, most drivers can't push a pure stock 240Z anywhere near its limits. A really great driver will take a pure stock 240Z and turn better times than 90% of the people running in higher and/or modified classes. Successful track days are really all about the drivers ability.

Past making sure the car is "safe" and in good mechanical condition - the first upgrade most older 240Z's need - is a compression test and then a good fresh valve job. Second would be a good set of S.U.'s that are tuned properly and aren't sucking air past the throttle shafts.

After that - I agree - Electronic Ignition and proper distributor timing curves and ignition advance.

Next - better brake pads and fresh rear shoes - there are several newer technology pad compounds available - start with them.

Next - good shocks and better tires.

Next - 2.25" or 2.5" free flowing exhaust

Next you have to decide what "class" you want to run in. Personally I think it is better to start in a STOCK class - and learn to be competitive there with a basically stock 240Z. Once you are running at the front of the pack in that class - then start adding modifications and moving up to higher classes. {that will also give you time to see other Z's in the modified classes and talk to the owners to see what they thought was important or not}

A stock 240Z will give you lots of warning before it lets go and spins off the track. A certain amount of body lean, lots of tire squeal.. Once you start upgrading the cars road holding ability - you get less and less warning that the car is ready to leave the road... So I would work on gaining seat time first in a stock Z - then later moving up.

But why add expensive modifications at all - - Why reinvent the wheel? Arizona Z Car, Triple Carbs, Racing tires, Suspension upgrades etc etc... ???? - - -- - Keep your Stock Z for pleasant weekends and road trips.... Then go buy a used race car that has everything already done, including a lot of the safety equipment alread installed - it will cost about less than half as much as modifying your car ... If you start Track Days etc in the STOCK Class - you'll have a season or two to find the best deal on a used race car...

Better still - your "stock Z" will retain most of its value if you ever need to resell it - and if you buy a used race car at the right price - you won't lose your shirt on that either.

Just my opinion...

FWIW,

Carl B.

I appreciate all the tips. I'm really learning a lot from you guys, thank you! A little more about my car:

- 1973 240z

- about 180+ miles

- not all stock

The previous owner changed out the SU carbs and put in a Holley 4-barrel. He also changed the intake and put some headers in there. With it, he swapped out of the exhaust for something around 2.5". The ignition was changed from the original, though its not MSD to say the least, haha..

Furthermore, the suspension was changed to something crappy from Kragen's, but he did put in new tires. The car still has the disk brakes in the front and the drums in the back. Other than that, everything is pretty much stock and untouched. No real rust anywhere on the car, just a few touches here and there. However, the car was repainted, and I think in the process of putting the car back together, they misaligned the doors and rear hatch in the process.. probably due to rushing because the paint job isn't that great to begin with... I can't think of anything else, but if you guys need to know more, don't hesitate to ask..

If you need to know a bit more, I'll try to fit you in. Again, thanks a bunch!!!

Edited by rjsang