IGNORED

What makes a Z a Z? What modifacations go too far to be called a Z?

hls30.com

What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?

• A non L series Engine
    • A non Z Engine
    • A Non Nissan Engine
    • Non Z ECM transplant
    • Non Z ECM
    • Harness Grafting
    • Too many Interior modifications
    • Too many Exterior Modifications
    • Any deviation from as the factory made it
    • ANy deviation from stock not covered by parts supercession

I like old school but also welcome a well thought and well done update on a classic looking sports car.
Classic "looking?" That is a big part of the whole point of this topic, to retain the classic looks and feel of this vehicle. Anything but OEM designs are out-of-the-question.

There is not much you can do to update the S30. Some things (updates) that would be welcome is completely rewiring, using new wires and new, but OEM connectors. You'd still have to use the old switches, motors, lamps, etc., but that's about all that would really "update" things. I don't think you can get an NOS AM radio or power antenna, but you could retrofit modern electronics to the OEM receiver case, rendering the station buttons useless.

The only other "updates" might be the front calipers, changing to steel brake drums, stainless brake and fuel line tubing, polymer flexible brake & fuel lines hoses, and urethane coatings overall (underbody coatings, and body paint) not to forget all those plastic and vinyl parts all over the car.

I can't think of many engine updates (on the L28E engine) besides new wires & connectors, and certain rubber parts.

I know a few of us check of for matching numbers when we look at a Z, but most don't, if it looks right where it is most don't dig for an issue. It isn't like the six cylinder L series blocks are the same...
Most know that "matching numbers" isn't a big thing, since the engines & chassis weren't made together, like they were in Detroit. If a car does have "matching numbers" then that's a cool thing to make note of.

I ask...........is it wrong to modernize the performance of a Z?
Just like the Model T I recently saw, with an Accel distributor, and spark plug wires? It even had an alternator from a Honda motorcycle.

I supposed you'd install a satellite receiver with CD player and 4 speakers?

I never said anything about your car was wrong...

Your logic I may question, your passion I never will-part of why I'd sit down with you for a conversation over an appropriate beverage.

If you are actually shooting for " the position it held in the market at it's debut, but in today's automotive world" you need to identify it more clearly-its closest sibling is still a mass produced assemblage of mass produced parts, with a six cylinder heart, and pressed steel suspension parts.

There are other, more (to me) beautiful Modified Z cars, such as Zrush, and Zwolf, I don't see them(or yours) wholly as Zs, or as something that is undeniably not a Z, but I see them as Z related-Hybrid/Modified Zs.

Yours is neither the first, nor the only one of its kind, This guy named Darius has been defying Darwin in one for years-As far as I can tell yours has no parts that are unique to it, nor is it a unique assemblage of parts. The most unique thing about it is that you own it and on occasion take hubristic pride in it. That is not to knock it at all-it is beautiful. I feel the same way about my Vert and the plans I have for my 240Z, but at the end of the day, they are both modified Z cars that happen to be either as or on the way to being as I want them to be. They are-my modified Zs I am every bit as proud of them as any Z owner is of his/her own Z(s). Mine are in progress to to be my vision of what is best, but that does not mean I can't respect and/or admire yours-or anyone elses.

I have never thought that honoring something involved modifying it, I never honored my mother and father by taking what they told me to do and changing it to fit what I wanted to do-and certainly would not feel honored if my boys were to modify my instructions.

26thZ, he knows what honoring the Z car is about, he has invested a tremendous amount of time and energy and money into finding out exactly what a Z was as it was designed, imported, and sold originally. Studying something, identifying it and glorifying it in its original form, all honor it.

You don't seem to recognize that in wanting something to be different enough to actually change it, you didn't want what was originally there enough to keep it-where is the honor for the original in that?

Saying you are honoring something by changing it is a backhanded compliment-the sort used in a bar on those too ignorant to recognize it for what it is...

Choosing the Z to create a beautiful derivative work doesn't honor the original? Spending thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours doesn't honor the vehicle specifically chosen for the purpose when the "artist" could have chosen any other vehicle to commit their precious time and treasure to?

Steve

Would you honor a vintage Ferrari by taking out the V-12 engine and putting in a modern V-8 engine, just because the V-8 might have more horsepower? IMO, That would be a BIG step in the wrong direction.

Edited by TomoHawk

hls30.com.....................Honor this marvel of a car as what it is , in the sense to bring back into the position it held in the market at it's debut, but in today's automotive world . I ask...........is it wrong to modernize the performance of a Z ;)

Read this with a little heart and my words will reveal the ''HONOR'' ;)

Gary, that is math manipulation, and that is OK.

Figures never lie, but liars always figure. There is ZERO math manipulation in the figures I presented. Further, manipulation of data is NOT OK...it's disingenuous.

Aggregating data is an acceptable way to spot and show trends. I did cite the original figures and also pointed out that the total of the aggregated data was in excess of the total votes cast.

Further, you can not HONOR those that developed, tested, produced, owned and have restored S30 cars by owning an overtly modified version and declaring it a better car, a modern car or even a tribute in any way, shape or form.

It's a bastard. It's a kit car. It doesn't fit. By definition it is not an S30.