IGNORED

Good for restoration?

Eddy167

Wish I could find one in that good of shape over here for that price. You got a good deal. That is a solid foundation to start from but as far as straight floors they are few and far between. I'm glad to see another one being saved! Keep up the good work!

I have yet to see one with straight floors and frames, I thought there would be a lot to choose from, I was wrong. I have seen many z's in the 7-10k range they look great on the outside but with floors and frames worse than mine, if I plan to put it on the rotisserie anyway there is no sense paying big $$$ to have one that looks great on the outside only to strip down anyway. Other than the drivers fender that has a dent on top and has been bondoed over, this car is very straight with no other work done to it anywhere. The hunt for a better one continues, that said I am happy to have this one. Do you guys think the passenger side floor could be fixed and made to look good? If it takes me 10 times longer to fix it then replacing it I am ok with that.

Its going to be put on a trailer and sent back home where the work will begin, I am still looking for something better if one comes up, this is a really early model which makes me want to keep it, well see

It would be a job to fix the passenger side, still better than dealing with a floor that's rotted right out

Eddy,

When you get back to Ontario look up the OntarioZcar club at http://www.ontariozcar.com/forum/index.php . We would all love to follow your resto project. Where in Ontario are you going.?

Can anyone tell me why the front bumper doesn't have rubber around it and the back does? Which one is right?

I was getting ready to send them for re chroming when I noticed this and I thought I should figure this out first.

Is it an original Matching Number car? I don't see an engine nor do you mention that. I wouldn't put the money into a true Restoration without it having its original engine.

Hard to tell from the pictures - but the rear wheel arches look like they have been reworked in the past - I don't see the factory spot welds showing. I'd check that area carefully - as rear Quarters are expensive - and too often they have been screwed up by poor body work.

Initial price seems good - you can expect to spend $25K ++ in addition to your own labor. Some of the parts needed to actually "Restore" a Series I car are getting somewhat EXPENSIVE now...

FWIW,

Carl B.

The engine is out of the car and apart, it is not the original engine. Most of the Z's I have seen have 280 blocks in them, is it that important to have the original engine? Other than the front fender having Bondo in it and one paint job that looks like it was done 20 years ago there is no other body work on the car, the quarter panels have all the spot welds in the wheel wells and in the bumper indentation, with not work done to them at all. Its hard to see the condition in the pictures.

I am in Whitby which is east of Toronto, however, I am very familiar with Guelph as I spent 6 years at the University of Guelph. I also go by there quite a bit as my parents live in Kitchener (just west of Guelph). You will definitely want to hook up with one of our members that lives in Kitchener. His name is Laverne (Ont240 is his forum name on our site). He has been into zcars from the very beginning and has 3 beautifully restored 240z's. He also still loves to work on them on the side.

Cheers,

Colin

Edited by colinc

The engine is out of the car and apart, it is not the original engine. Most of the Z's I have seen have 280 blocks in them, is it that important to have the original engine?

If you are using the term "Restore" to mean - put back to its original as built condition. In a word - Yes having the original engine in the car matters a lot. It is very important as it relates to its future resale value.

If resale value in the future nor winning Shows matters - then no it doesn't matter.

A near perfectly Restored 240Z might sell for $25K to $35K today.

A near perfectly Refreshed 240Z with non-matching numbers might sell for $16K to $18K today.

A near perfectly Restored 240Z might sell for $35K to $45K in three to five years.

A near perfectly Refreshed 240Z with non-matching numbers might sell for $16K to $18K in three to five years.

It seems that in general - Collector / Museum Quality Examples of Classic Cars keep going up in value and at a much faster rate - than modified cars. Swapping out the original engine is a major modification. Not having it at all - is even worse for the future - as it can never be returned to Pure Stock.

You just don't want to put tooooo much money in a refresh or restoration - without some consideration of what you could expect / hope to get back out if necessary. Any way I look at it - If I'm going to put the work into the car along with $25K or more of my cash - - - I'd want to put it into something with a higher potential for returning most of my money in the future, even if nothing for my time.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Colin I will have to hook up with your friend in Kitchener when I am back

Carl, I am more doing this for myself and not to sell. Is the serial number for the engine on the block at the back of the engine just under the cylinder head? Is there more value for lower Vin numbers? Mine is 02429 its pretty low I don't know if that matters at all, like I say I am just doing more for myself then to sell.

Edited by Eddy167

I am in Whitby which is east of Toronto, however, I am very familiar with Guelph as I spent 6 years at the University of Guelph. I also go by there quite a bit as my parents live in Kitchener (just west of Guelph). You will definitely want to hook up with one of our members that lives in Kitchener. His name is Laverne (Ont240 is his forum name on our site). He has been into zcars from the very beginning and has 3 beautifully restored 240z's. He also still loves to work on them on the side.

Cheers,

Colin

Keeping with the theme of this thread I woud like to correct my last post. Laverne has 3 240z's (2 restored [iwould assume numbers matching] and 1 totally modified [he has some kind of huge V8 in that thing]).