IGNORED

Good for restoration?

Eddy167

Hi

I am new to this forum. I am originally from Ontario Canada where most of our Z's are rusting in pieces.

I had a Z 25 years ago that was in bad shape, I replaced the rockers floors and frames only to make a Z that was somewhat nice. After moving to California 15 years ago I promised myself If I ever move back to Ontario I would bring something back that I would pluck from the AZ desert. After some searching I found this one, something like this back home would be imposable to find or if you did it would be worth big bucks even the way she sits. I must also find a 510 while here to bring back, I have a half a year to do so, but I am drifting from the Z

To all you guys that have done serious major restorations, I would like your thoughts on this one, is this something that is still good enough to be considered for restoration? It does have its flaws like the bumper bracket mounts being damaged from a accident, but it did not get damaged past the radiator mount, the interior is really bad but its all bolt up stuff, the car is actually amazingly straight. My plan is to get this on the rotisserie for a complete restoration. The floor other than a few small holes is all there but it has been buckled up a bit, passenger side a little worse than drivers side.

The pic of the engine compartment looks as if the frames are all rotted out but the are actually covered in oil, undercoating and dirt but they are very healthy. There is a dent on the passenger side frame where the motor mounts that concerns me, it should not be there.

The passenger door has a small rust hole maybe 1/2" diameter on it, the drivers door is a little worse with rust on the front and back on the bottom of the door, I would like to save the doors just because of how straight they are.

So that about the major issues, please let me know your thoughts on this car.

Yes, the mags have to go.

post-27697-1415081965574_thumb.jpg

post-27697-14150819656514_thumb.jpg

post-27697-14150819657091_thumb.jpg

post-27697-1415081965767_thumb.jpg

post-27697-1415081965808_thumb.jpg

post-27697-14150819658692_thumb.jpg

post-27697-14150819659099_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eddy167

Well I am not the type to sit in front of the TV or go to bars, but I must keep myself busy, if I am not working on something I am not happy. I have no problem doing the work just want to make sure it's worth doing the work to it. This in comparison to what I did with my 71 20 some years ago will be less work, if there was no one out there that enjoyed doing this kind of work there would be no Z's left. Putting the price and amount of work aside any constructive criticism?

Any good tricks to straighten out the floor? I have looked at about 20 other 240's and to my surprise it seems the dream of getting one with straight floors and frames are not good. That said the body's on them seemed in great shape at least from a distance, upon closer look they to needed a bunch of work, I would rather get something sort of untouched than something that had been worked over and you cant tell whats under the paint until you start stripping it. I guess if I was to pay 10 or 15K I could get one that has good straight frames and floors.

I think I would try to straighten the drivers side floor pan, use a hammer and mollies to get it fairly straight, once its covered with new sound proofing and the underside is painted and coated it would look OK, the passenger side I would replace the frame rail and floor pan. The rest of the car looks pretty good and with some time and work could be able to make the trip to Canada. Just my 2 cents.

Its going to be put on a trailer and sent back home where the work will begin, I am still looking for something better if one comes up, this is a really early model which makes me want to keep it, well see

It would be a job to fix the passenger side, still better than dealing with a floor that's rotted right out

Yup, I had to replace the driver side floor pan and frame rail, I could put my feet thru it, just like the Flintstone mobile, wasn't a fun job, but doable. I learned how to weld (not very well) to do the job.