Turn Signal Stalk Action = Mushy

BoldUlysses

Your Z's Turn Signal Action?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Your Z's Turn Signal Action?

• Mushy
    • Crisp
    • Somewhere in between

Is it just my Z, or is the action of the turn signal stalk on our cars incredibly mushy?

Call me OCD, but the flimsy stalk and ooze into the detent at the end of its travel definitely have a somewhat negative effect on my overall driving experience in the Z.

Other cars, whose turn signal stalks snap into position with a positive, non-flimsy *click* or *thunk* just feel that much more special and substantial to drive.

It doesn't help, either, than the action of the headlight switch is excellent and free of play.

So is it just my Z? If not, does it bother anyone else? And is there anything that can be done?

Edited by BoldUlysses

I know it's picky but I have the same issue. My HL switch is just fine but the TS switch sucks. I had it cleaned and lubed but that didn't change the mushy feel. I've just learned to make sure they've fully canceled after making a turn.

I know it's picky but I have the same issue. My HL switch is just fine but the TS switch sucks. I had it cleaned and lubed but that didn't change the mushy feel. I've just learned to make sure they've fully canceled after making a turn.

Yeah, I have to do that too. There's also a certain sector of the wheel's rotation when the turn signal won't click into its detent. Nice touch, that.

I'm not certain how bad yours is, but my switches were very comparable to other import cars of that era. Very similar to my MGB, for example. Certainly didn't bother me.

I gather it's similar. Heck, my dad's 1989 F150 had a horrible stalk too. Just trying to see if it's typical for the Z and if there's any way to improve it. It's not a dealbreaker by any means.

I cleaned and lubed mine and it works fine. I hate it when those little things don't work properly.

When you say "works fine," does that mean the mushy feel is gone and there's some crispness to the switch's action?

The mushy feeling is gone and there is some crispness. I can feel it click into place but it's not overly mechanical. There's a hint of mush. I have a 1970 Road Runner and it's very mechanical. I can feel the lever flex before it clicks into place. That's not a good feeling.

Chuck

Mine is "mushy" but I live with it. Eventually, I'll take a look and see if I can make it better. It's a ways down the to-do list though...

Same here. It's not something I'm going to tackle right away, but it did cross my mind.

It is called ''character'' , also normal 70's old technology , mine has it to and I like the vintage feel ;)

Ah, the old bug/feature debate... :)

The mushy feeling is gone and there is some crispness. I can feel it click into place but it's not overly mechanical. There's a hint of mush. I have a 1970 Road Runner and it's very mechanical. I can feel the lever flex before it clicks into place. That's not a good feeling.

Chuck

I'll try what you did. For the record, there's a difference between a nice, solid *click* or *thunk* (any Honda, BMW, etc) and a cheap plastic *crack* like the turn signal stalk my parents' old Oldsmobile Ciera had. Sounds like the latter is more in the vein of your Road Runner's.

I've fixed two of them in recent past. First was easy... I just lubed the detent balls with some light oil and cleaned out the accumulated gunk out of the corners where the balls are supposed to snap. Went from mushy to crisp. Here's a few pics:

turnswitch1.jpg

detentballlower2.jpg

Second one was NOT easy... I tried lubing it first and that didn't to anything. Figured out that the problem was that the pivot point for the assy was loose. It is knurled and then pressed into the casting and it's never supposed to move again, but mine had started to squirm around and once it starts to move it just keeps getting worse.

I pulled the old pivot point out, bored and threaded the hole and made a new insert to thread into place. Works better than new. Very crisp now and has very little slop in every direction. Since I was making new insert, I was able to control the geometry and sizing in other areas as well. Made a new tighter fitting pin for the handle while I was in there... I love it now!

turnpivot1.jpg

turnpivot2.jpg

turnpivot3.jpg

Not worth the time I put into it, but it turned out better than just using epoxy to glue the original pivot into place. I just hope yours isn't that serious. :)

Haha!!! And here I thought it was just ME!!