IGNORED

Synthetic Leather Seat Covers on Ebay

Hardway

My leathers are installed. My upholstery guy asked what I paid for them (~$375 +/-) and he said that he couldn't even source the leather for that amount let alone produce a completed set for that. He rated the leather a 6.5 out of 10 noting it was a bit thin for automotive use. He was impressed that even the piping was leather wrapped but had to remove "the tail section" of the seat backs and stitch in more substantial material. This was the part that the hog rings secure to and he felt that it was a bit too thin / weak to be durable over the long haul and was not quite long enough.

All in all it was a good product for a good price. Still working on photos....

I purchase all the seat components from Les, and have completed one seat. So far is lookd pretty good, though there is a little wrinkle down the seat back. I need to replace support strap, since the stuff I used to fix it the first time seems to crack with age. What I used was similar to the original but not quite as thick nor covered in nylon.

Heat them up carefully but hot and smack the wrinkles with the back of a large wooden spoon-Here we just put them in the sun for a little while-the wrinkles should dissipate, the materiel just needs to find its groove. These guys have been making replacement upholstery for the Z32 crowd for some time

I pulled my driver side seat apart over the weekend. Most of the foam looked original including a thin layer of foam that was glued across the back of the seat. When you guys recovered your seats did you place a new layer of thin foam across the back, use the original, or just leave it off? Mine was pretty nasty feeling so I tore it off and I am considering putting new on after I clean up the metal.

I pulled my driver side seat apart over the weekend. Most of the foam looked original including a thin layer of foam that was glued across the back of the seat. When you guys recovered your seats did you place a new layer of thin foam across the back, use the original, or just leave it off? Mine was pretty nasty feeling so I tore it off and I am considering putting new on after I clean up the metal.

Jeff,

My thin seat back foam was in good shape, left it all in place for the new covers. I suggest you replace yours, it will soften the feel of the covers and absorb small impacts that might otherwise ding the vinyl on the seat backs.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I got my driver side seat done this week. Below are pictures of the finished product. Overall I am pretty happy with the results. For as tight as the material is around the rest of the seat I wish the areas on the side of the head rest were as tight. It took me about 8 hours of total labor time to do the one seat. This included tear down, weld repair, clean up, paint, re-cover, and final assembly. I took alot of pictures during the whole process and plan to write up a how-to document later this weekend. Getting the covers on was the REAL WORK. It requires a good bit of arm and hand strength as well as knowing when to stop to let it relax. If you have any old arm or shoulder injuries doing this kind of project may cause them to flare up so just be aware. Let me know what you think.

Before:

02.jpg

01.jpg

After:

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg