IGNORED

My Datsun Spirit L28 Build.

I had similar problems with the Unilite I installed after I installed the Webers. Got totally frustrated and worked with an MSA tech and we figured out it was defective. It was Summit purchase so sent it back with full refund. Have been running since on the stock 260 Dizzy with stock electronics and the vacuum disconnected.

BTW, I know you are a stickler for detail: Take some acetone and a rag and clean off those sloppy factory baby blue markings on your Webers.

I can tell you I am blown away with how much mid range torque I have. It is just so usable. The ability to scoot up and around things with the flex of your toe on the accelerator is a joy. Almost no need to down shift form 4th when just driving around town. It pulls almost from 1500 rpm up. I have taken her as high as 4500 rpm so far and she is running well. Has not burned a drop of oil and seems to be extremely tight. If I get aggressive with the throttle in first gear some tire spin occurs. I have yet to really to full tilt through all the gears at WOT, so I cannot comment how fast that would be, but she feels like a rocket ship compared to my OEM L24. The webers have a whole new sound to them with the L28.

With Timing set at 14 BTDC with a max of 35 degrees was running into some pinging in 3rd and 4th gear at 1500 rpm while loading up the engine. It was barely audible, but I could hear it. If I eased off the gas it would be a non issue, even while loading up the engine in a tall gear at low rpm. However, I backed off to 10 deg BTDC and max advance of 30-31 and there is zero pining ever. Pulls strong, and idles very well. I cannot make it ping right now. I may try to advance it one degree at a time to see what I can get away with. But the car seems to like where I have it. When I get my Mallory back from summit racing (bad ignition module) I plan to run it at 10 degrees BTDC and max at 34. I may later buy an adapter kit to make it run 14 BTDC with a max of 31 ish. We will see. Without a dyno to really measure results, it is hard to tell any real improvement. To be honest, I am not sure changing out a perfectly working pertronix with a Mallory will yeild any results what so ever.

Zedyone, I guess this L28 build thread is almost finished. Before you wrap up this thread could you please post a quick

vid of what the car looks like now, maybe the engine and then you roaring off with the full sound from behind?

I haven't been with you from the start but I have read every post and followed the last few months.

Thanks,

Chris

grannyknot, I have made an in car video that was darn near 10 minutes long. It was fun to make. I have rigged up a tripod on the deck of my car and wire tied it to the rear strut bar. it is very stable. However, when listening to the video, all you can hear is the DAMN electric fuel pump. It is so God Aweful loud in the video you can barely hear the L28 music. So annoyed I was with this, I am ordering a 81 RX7 pump as many veteran members here have. I will be giving that a shot in the week to come. I just cannot stand the constant BUZZZZZZZZZ anymore.

The carter pump has been reliable, but nothing I have done has made it less annoying!!!!

• 1 month later...