IGNORED

Introducing "Ginger" -KHGC11000280

akwikz

As you are aware, and as pictured, the GC110 uses a very basic "adjustable" column. It rides in a slotted mount under the dash. The S130 uses a simple bolt in style with ears. The GC110 mount is fully removable, unfortunately the bracket on the column is impossible to remove without severe damage to the original column itself. Even though I'm heavily modifying my car, I want to do as little damage to original parts as I can. This is where another trip to the junk yard comes in. Most Nissans of the era use a mounting style like the ZX, but after a bit of walking around I found an 810 two door. It uses the same mount as the GC110. I cut out the section with the mount and headed home.

post-4696-14150823584659_thumb.jpg

And here is the finished (nearly) product. I welded the small section with bracket onto my S130 column and viola, the column rides in nearly the exact same spot as the original. I tested it with the stock steering wheel and it feels factory. I need to drill a couple of small pilot holes to locate and mount the control stalks.

I originally thought the lower pivot points for the control arms were off by .5 inch per side, well, it looks like they are in fact dead on. I was able to bolt the stock GC110 arms into the S130 crossmember and as you can see from the earlier pics the front wheels are just fine. I plan to run camber plates anyhow, so any minor variance will be easy to correct.

post-4696-14150823586632_thumb.jpg

So that's were I am at the moment. I pulled out the tranny and the motor will follow in the next few days. Once the motor is on the stand I can refine my motor mounts. And I hope to finally have the car taken to the body shop. I'm still in need of flares and a chin spoiler, but otherwise I have most of the parts stashed.

On a completely separate note, do any of you know if there is a trim item that runs along the top inside line of the front windshield? Basically where the headliner ends. My car seems to be missing this, whatever its called.

post-4696-14150823582933_thumb.jpg

post-4696-14150823583733_thumb.jpg

post-4696-14150823585325_thumb.jpg

post-4696-14150823585969_thumb.jpg

Hi Brian!

some good progress, good to see her getting the attention she deserves!

from memory There is a black "u" style rubber mould (similar to the one on the back) that fits over the end of the headliner and metal bracket under that.. I don't think i have a spare, but i will look (it will take some time though as it would be in storage), if not, i am sure we can find one somewhere in OZ and i can post it to you.

I am pretty sure dad is heading to the states (Dallas i think) in May, i might try to organise to finally get that Z grill off you! once he confirms his trip, i will let you know

Kent

Kent,

Glad you approve. Its been slow going for a while but I'm trying to get it rolling again. Its surprising how inspiring it is just to see her off jack stands again. Anyhow, I'm going to get the motor on the stand this weekend. Once I do that I can take some better pics of the rack and pinion linkage. My plan at the moment is to get it to the body shop soon. I have decided on a paint scheme that I think will be both unique and fit the persona of the car. I have also been working on my interior layout.

As for the grille, just let me know where and when to send it. When you get it you should post a pic of it along side the GT-R grille. The two rarest of Nissan bits in one place. People will drool. As an aside, I was wondering if you would ever stumble accross the components to convert a 240z to RHD? I'm kicking around getting a Z again as they are becoming scarce even here. If so, I would need a dash, pedal box, steering rack, cowling, wiper assembly and gas pedal. Just curious if these can still be had over there.

Brian

I am trying to get mine off the rotisserie, i know once i get it back on its own legs, it will give me a massive boost! after close to a year, i put down the 2nd layer of epoxy and a layer of underbody deadener on the undercarriage two weekends ago.. would have done more, but ran out of underbody spray.. another 6L are on the way (i used 3L for the first coat)

Thanks, i will let you know (hopefully very soon) when his itinerary is squared up and we know where he will be (probably Houston), appreciate it and i will definately take those photos.. all ready have the GT-R grill accessable to do it!

As for the Z Parts, no problems at all.. i will keep my eyes out, but say the word (and the year model) and i will start buying them up for you.. a decent dash is probably going to be hard to find (but we can get it recovered either here or over there..)!!

• 2 years later...

And the story went cold . . .

Hi Brian & Kent. How are those V8 conversions going?

I know I have not been here for probably 3 to 5 years as having a new family did that.

But has everyone migrated to another site or forum as there looks to have been not much action here.

Regards,

Bruce.

I will be importing a C110 very soon to USA from Dubai UAE after we bought/Shipped it from Australia.We converted to Lt hand drive with 280ZX drive train.

It's almost done and it will be in it's way very soon.......

My? is .... what shall I do to avoid all the headaches of importing this 240K to the states,you know the EPA(Environmental Protection Agency),DOT( Department of Transportation) and CBP(Customs and Border Protection) and how was your experience with importing your C110 or what you did?

Thank you in advance.

Jamal