IGNORED

Debadging: Yes or no?

Would you debadge your Z?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Would you debadge your Z?

• No, leave all badges
    • Leave some, remove others
    • Totally remove all badging

Would you do it? If so, how far would you take it?

Still in the process of getting my Z running, but thinking ahead to the eventual body restoration, and which badges I'll reinstall after the paintwork is done.

- The front roundel's definitely going back on.

- I like the fender "Datsun" badges because they provide a visual "reference point" for the lower part of the fender.

- The "Z" vents in the C-pillars will stay. They're alright.

- The hatch I'm not so sure. I like identifying the car as a 240 beyond just the bumpers, but it just seems kind of busy and fussy. I might leave that off.

I pulled the Datsun from the front fenders and from the hatch. The only badge that reads Datsun was on the hood. The 240Z emblems on the rear posts were retained, too. Makes it a little bit mysterious...

I removed the front fender Datsuns. But when I added the BRE spoiler I added The Datsun and 240z to the righthand side of it. Roof and hood badges are in the correct locations. I'm also looking for a dealer badge from an Illinois dealer. Preferably one that was open in 1972 to add as well.

It can go both ways. After new paint, I went with all new badges. :love:

Without badges I got, "Why did you paint your Ferrari blue? Arn't they always red?"

With badges was, "Datsun? Never heard of em, but it sure is a cool car, Mr."

Taz0612, funny you should mention 'dealer' badge, this was on the tail gate of a 620 I got a while back. It is 6X1X1/8 inch pot metal affixed with double sided tape. (not going on the Z) :finger:

Bonzi Lon

post-11300-14150818671854_thumb.jpg

If you remove them, your car will be called everything from a mazda to a fiero. Before I did the body on mine, I had a Z28 guy tell his ten year old son that it was a RX7. That is what started by refresh of the body and the application of all badges. My vote goes to leave them in place. But it should be a personal decision. Good Luck~

I used to own a BMW 635CSi with a prominent badge on its trunklid. I was against debadging altogether on the grounds that "It's one of the classic/storied BMWs and I should proudly display that!" until somebody pointed out that really, the folks who know cars will know what it is without the badge, and I know what it is, and why clutter up the outside of the car to advertise that fact? Kinda feel the same about the Z.

The way I see it, there will always be knuckleheads out there who will mistake it for something else even WITH the badge (likely 'cause they're not close enough to the car to see it), so I'd rather just clean up the outside. So I'm really leaning toward not reinstalling the trunklid emblems. As for the others, as mentioned, they're design elements and work with the car's lines, so they'll stay.

On my 280, I left off the fender badges and will be putting on the black stripe 280 Z decal just above the rockers. I know its not original but I don't care, I think it looks good.