IGNORED

Just purchased this beautiful 1970 Datsun 240Z Series 1

usafdarkhorse

Hi all,

I'm mostly a lurker on here, but I thought I'd share with you all.

I've owned a few Zs, my last being this 1975 with L28ET and MS2 that I sold in July of last year. :cool:

19May11Zshoot032.jpg

Miss that car, but couldn't stand to let it sit out in rainy weather and rust after I moved down here in Corpus Christi.

This past December, I found out that I was moving to Japan this coming November, so my NSX aspirations were put on hold after I had found the most perfect 1992 Comptech supercharged black on ivory NSX up in New Hampshire (telling that guy I couldn't buy his car almost literally hurt) :cry:. My last NSX for kicks:

358_612007589815_9427817_38718147_5038_n.jpg

Miss that car dearly as well, more than the Z.

I've been in a sportscar void for about a year now after getting sensible and buying a decent 2002 Accord to DD back and forth to base. Thought about getting an S2000 to have fun before I left for Japan. Then people started putting this crazy idea in my head about shipping an old car to Japan, to drive and possibly sell, because the Japanese go nuts for anything they can't have, just like us (a la Skyline).

So I've been casually looking through old Datsun Z and Porsche 911 classifieds. Came close on one 911 down in Georgia, but the owner couldn't get me the info I needed (apparently older Porsches before the 1980's VINs did not have a month of manufacture stamped on the body...very important for Japan). Ended up stumbling across an ad in Ohio for a 240Z advertised as "one owner". I inquired.

What I found was probably the most perfect, original 240Z in the United States. This lady bought the car brand new in 1970 having just come off the boat. After some time, she drove the car less and less and let a good family friend take care of the car for her, the person I originally contacted. It has 59K original miles, and the rust-problem was widespread enough by this time (July 1970) that the dealer took the car to a local shop to completely rust proof the bottom as brand new, and it looks like it.

This car is so perfect, I'm starting to have trouble thinking about possibly taking it to Japan, but I know that it would probably survive better there than here. It may just need to go to a museum.

I present to you 1970 Datsun 240Z Series 1 #7356, white on blue interior.

100_1030.jpg

100_1026.jpg

100_1009.jpg

100_1010.jpg

Floorpan.

DriverFloorBoard.jpg

100_1012.jpg

100_1013.jpg

The only drawbacks I see is that the car shows some evidence of sitting. The bottom has some surface rust on the suspension components as well as some dry rotted bushings. It was just not driven all that often (maybe once a month). Doing all the fluids and replacing the bushings with urethane.

Then I'm getting in contact with a government vehicle processing center to prepare for the move to Japan. I'm going to need the amber turn signals lenses for the rear and the speedo changed to KPH, but it's gonna be well worth it.

Alot of people think shipping an old car to Japan is a PITA. It'll cost me about $1K to register it there, but I think just being able to say you drove an old Z, left hand drive 240Z at that, in Japan is priceless. It really is.

More updates to come. Thanks for reading my diatribe.

Edited by usafdarkhorse

What a fantastic find!! Enjoy all the attention the two of you are certain to get in Japan.. It's a shame to leave this car in Japan but you will certainly receive an offer too good to refuse at some point during your stay over there.. Very cool!!

Wow! Beautiful car. Lets see more pictures. Engine compartment, interior, underside. Couple of things I would do, I wouldn't use urethane bushing, I would stick to the rubber. I would keep the crack free dash protected and that's it!! Beautiful survivor. Good luck. By the way what did you pay for the car?

WOW...... super nice Z,,,,,good luck in your adventure with her ;)

Thank ya sir. An adventure it will be.

What a fantastic find!! Enjoy all the attention the two of you are certain to get in Japan.. It's a shame to leave this car in Japan but you will certainly receive an offer too good to refuse at some point during your stay over there.. Very cool!!

I've heard of guys bringing 280Zs over, not even having registered the car yet, and getting offers upwards of $10K. I think it would be a shame just to bring it to sell, so I'll mull on it for awhile and drive it when I can (when it's feasible because having a car in Japan is a hassle really).

Awesome find. This is the one everyone looks for. I purchased mine from the original owner also, however it was nowhere near this good of condition. Good luck and enjoy the ride~

It just blows my mind for someone to have owned a car since brand new for this long. I almost feel like I have a duty of sorts to see this thing well-preserved. Daunting. If I thought I was paranoid with my NSX, I'm going to be freakish with this thing.

Wow! Beautiful car. Lets see more pictures. Engine compartment, interior, underside. Couple of things I would do, I wouldn't use urethane bushing, I would stick to the rubber. I would keep the crack free dash protected and that's it!! Beautiful survivor. Good luck. By the way what did you pay for the car?

Here's my photobucket album: http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/ad316/usafdarkhorse/1970%20240Z/

I'll post some good ones from there at the bottom. PM'd you about the price and rubber vs. urethane question.

I used to work at a tint shop with very good results on my last 280Z above when I very lightly tinted the windshield, sides, and hatch glass for UV protection. Couldn't even tell it was tinted, but it does block 99% of the UV.

Congrats on your wonderful find!! I'd like to see more pictures too.

Best of luck in your big move too!

Coming up. Also posted my photobucket above.

Wow, very nice! That's a once-in-a-lifetime find.

That's what I keep hearing. Too nice to do anything but put some wheels and tires on her and drive!

Floor carpet. The only carpet that is NOT original is the rear deck carpet (being under the hatch glass). Looks brand new!

100_1014.jpg

100_1011.jpg

Light tear in the panel

100_1008.jpg

Some of the underneath I was talking about

underneathrear.jpg

Tirecove2.jpg

Can you believe this is an OHIO CAR?

FrontWheelWell2.jpg

Engine bay. Worn braiding.

100_1033.jpg

100_1032.jpg

Battery tray

100_1031.jpg

Not a repaint!

100_1028.jpg

100_1027.jpg

What I found was probably the most perfect, original 240Z in the United States.

Not trying to be too critical of your new ride, but that is a pretty big statement. It looks like it has had patch sections welded on the floorpans and the frame rails. The paint overspray in the engine bay (rubber grommets, etc) and the lack of a hood emissions sticker indicate that the car has been repainted at some point.

Floor carpet. The only carpet that is NOT original is the rear deck carpet (being under the hatch glass). Looks brand new!

Actually, all of the carpet looks to be aftermarket to me. There shouldn't be carpet on the transmission tunnel, on the door thresholds, or on the sides of inner rear wheel wells. Is the original vinyl underneath?

The rest of the car seems to be in good shape for an Ohio car, so if the paint and repairs were done well and you got it for a decent price, it looks like a good find. Good luck with the move.

-Mike