IGNORED

Z-Tops?

AndysPlit

I've read the story about how this was in the works as an aftermarket option back in the 70's for the S30; Yes, a first gen Z with a targa top. I cannot remember where I saw the article...Maybe it was on Zcar.com. It does not appear in my Google search either.

Anyway, as the story goes the factory burnt down (or something) and so did the dream of having Z-Tops. Does anyone have any information on this? Also, has anyone ever seen an S30 with Z-Tops? I'd go for it.

Edited by AndysPlit

Yes, I've read some really old threads on this board about structural integrity after such a modification. It sounds like something that of a roll cage would have to be installed? Nevertheless, if I had the money I would consider it. One reason why I bought my Z32 was because of the T-Top. It's like Michael Knight in a Z ;)

I had a friend whose Dad gave him a '75 Z. Perfect car, goldish brown color, ran great. He cut the roof out for a targa top and the car bent in the middle. He had a welding shop weld 2"x2" angle iron down the underside rails and got stuck on a speed bump at our mall. That's one funny story for me. Thanks for the memories Greg.