IGNORED

Zcon 2012

d240zx2

Yea, I feel you pain, I drove my car from Pittsburgh to Cleveland in 08 in the poring rain and just hosed off and dried the car for the judging and they nicked me for having dirt on me exhaust pipe.

A lot of people were complaining about the wet and mud that day and the points taken off. I also had points taken off for scratches on the glove compartment key hole. I am the original owner and the key has never been in the lock so how did it get scratched up. Still lost 2 points for that.

The judges must have been real tough out there, I scored something like 275 and most of my points were from the engine area. My interior had dust in all the vents. Something like 4 points for that. I think the scoring was a little easier in Cleveland.

Anyway learned a lot, you can never be too clean.

I think it is not so much pain as it is disappointment in what is considered important in judging. It’s the whole Pam Anderson debate: do you like the original or do you like the new modified version. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the ZCCA judging tends toward the later while I prefer the former. In the case of ZCON judging:

1. A seat with new upholstery with the wrong or modified pattern would score better than an original seat that sags in the middle

2. New carpet with the incorrect pile would score better than the original carpet that is faded.

3. An air cleaner that is painted an off color orange would score better than an original with a scratch.

4. An engine with fresh decals and a later model oil pan (no welds) would score better than an original (low serial number) car that had a welded oil pan and no decals on the air cleaner.

That’s what is disappointing to me. Unfortunately, that is the way the cars are judged. There are no bonus points for having the original 40 year old parts on your car. Bring on the silicon implants and liposuction.

Just my thoughts…Peace out

241 Total: -11 on exterior, -21 for engine, -27 interior. 40 year old carpet and seats didn't help the interior points.

my results from the cleveland 08 convention

exterior 88

interior 90

underhood 77

entered in the stock catagory ( three mods allowed)

i believe my zed to be original paint plus i have 40 year old carpet too.

i just washed and waxed the car before i left home, drove 300 miles to the convention.

26th said that the underhood is the most difficult to get point.

My scores were fair, although I thought I did a fairly good job of cleaning things after the rain we had, in 2008. At least I didn't see any comments like "non-stock radio" or " non-stock seats" like I got once at a regional show :ermm: (for DD class.)

Yes, I would agree too that the judging was very fair except for the write down on the oil pan weld and the lack of air cleaner decals. This is the way my low serial number car came out of the factory, so to be marked off for that is wrong. However, since I was nowhere close to 270 points, I won’t say much beyond this.

I think it is not so much pain as it is disappointment in what is considered important in judging. It’s the whole Pam Anderson debate: do you like the original or do you like the new modified version. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the ZCCA judging tends toward the later while I prefer the former. In the case of ZCON judging:

No! If you are in the stock class, the "newer modified" version should get you the same point deduction as if the original was half worn out. 5 points. Now, maybe the ZCCA has decided to score differently, but it sounds to me as though you got an inexperienced judge or two. That shouldn't happen at a ZCCA convention. Not in the stock class. Again, I would write a letter and bitch. Go on their web site (if it's working) and bitch.

Dan I am way late to this discussion, but let me say do not get mired down in the details, your car is stunning! I know you are proud to have it, and you should be.

Car shows are an anamoly to me. I have been disappointed many times at how the judging gets done. But my disappointment came from the fact that I had not taken the time to do more. I have learned that car shows are primarily about cleanliness. And in my county, it is pretty much the only thing that matters. My z would not score half of what your car did. I think you should keep posting pics of your car, as your engine is an inspiration to so many of us.

Congrats and I am proud to be on the same car forum as you