IGNORED

Shipping Z Cars

theczechone

I will finally finish my grad school and start my full time job this June. This means that I got to move from Starkville, MS to Detroit, MI and my Z is not exactly in drivable condition right now. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with car shipments over long distances, or if anyone can suggest a good company to use for this. Thanks

Do a search for shipping a Z. I vaguely recall a topic on here in the last 6 months about exactly what you need. I shipped a Z once, but it was a long time ago.

Secondly, where in the Detroit area are you going? There aren't a lot of us S30 folks around here, but there are a few.

Ah yes, the age old question, how to ship a car. Well there are as many ways as there are Z's out there to ship. Well not that many, but get the picture. Questions you need to ask yourself are:

How much do you want to spend max?

Do you want the car picked up and dropped off to you?

Do you want an enclosed Trailer or on back of a flatbed?

Are you willing to work around the shippers schedule?

Do you require a large name brand, or will a guy and a truck suffice?

When I bought my Z from North Carolina, I had it shipped via enclosed trailer to Houston Texas. It was about 1390 dollars door to door.

Here is the truck and how it arrived at my house.

post-16285-1415081837596_thumb.jpg

post-16285-14150818376527_thumb.jpg

You can make your decision, but peace of mind was worth the extra money I spent.

now having said that, I am looking at those 240Z stickers on my car that I removed and they are suddenly looking far better than they use to..

Hummmmm

Since you are heading to the Detroit area, try contacting Reliable Carriers. They specialize in shipping cars for the OE car companies and one of their three hubs is in this area. It's possible that you can get a discount on a less than full truck that originates in the south and heads this way.

http://reliable-carriers.com/default.cfm

Keep in mind that transporters are on bid for your$.....find a deal and check the transporters record on costumers satisfaction and service.I had my Z transported in Dic/2011 from Sacramento CA to Fulton MD for only 850$, that was for close to 3K miles. I hired Tokooe Better Auto Transportation , they did it in record time and no problems .:cool:

Edited by 72 OJ

My job is in Plymouth, MI with AVL engineering, I will probably try to find a house in the Plymouth or Canton area.

My car will be completely stripped down and fully rebuilt after I get it up there, so I am not worried about damage to the paint if it was not in an enclosed trailer. However I'd rather it not rain on it as the seals on doors and hatch seem to be just for show.

My company offered to help a little with the transportation cost, but it will be nowhere near the numbers you guys are throwing out.

I'd like to keep under 1K if possible, but we'll see. With the current price of fuel it will be expensive just to drive my other car up there.

I have dealt with Reliable-Carriers before, our university has team to design and build hybrid vehicles which I am part of. We used them to ship our car to GM proving grounds before. They were very professional and truly cared about our car. Too bad we're not doing the same this year, or i could sneak my car onto the transport for super cheap...

I'm trying to plan ahead now so I know what I am getting into.

Right down the road from me then. Cool! Let me suggest that you try to find something in Plymouth rather than Canton. I lived there for three years and couldn't wait to leave. Plymouth is much pricier, but it's worth it.

Ok, good to know, so far I am looking to rent, at least for my first year there, but my major, and really the only stipulation is a 2-3 car garage :D. I'm a single guy with no family so 2 bdr would be perfect, if I have some friends in town. If you know of anything let me know.

There should be lots of available houses to rent since a lot of people have fled the state and couldn't sell their homes. Look in Plymouth, Northville, Novi, Farmington Hills, and Canton if needed. Try to stay west of 275 if possible. I'll let you know if I hear of anything.

I used uship.com and had a great experience with it getting my 240z shipped from Marshall TX to Austin TX, only about a 5 hour drive. I put out a flat offer of $500 for shipping the car, 2 doors, and an extra hatch. It was snapped up in less than 5 minutes by a guy with Black Rock Logistics. He delivered the car door to door, was on time, and super cool. Based on what I heard from the sellers that he picked the car up from he was the same with them. All in all a very positive experience.