IGNORED

Followup posting on voltage issue

bhermes

First of all I would like to thank everyone for walking me through the voltage issue with my 76 280 2+2. I beleive that through everything I have a non internal regulated alternator with an external voltage regulator. I think the alternator, voltage regulator and battery are all good. However, I beleive that the plug going to the voltage regualtor has an issue. Looking at the female connectors (metal pieces) they seem a little out of round but hard to realluy tell. Also they look a little discolored. Again hard to really tell. Seems to mate a little to easy. The connector is allowing the alternator to work but not the regulator to regulate. When unplugged the alternator does not appear to be working at all.

My question here is does anyone know where I can get just a replacement plug that I can splice into the harness?

I am also considering switching to the internal regulated alternator but I beleive I will still need this connection and jumper afterwards.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You could buy some bullet connectors for the end of each wire, cut the suspect plug off and put individual bullets on. You would lose some weather resistance but it would get you to the same spot you'd be if you bought a replacement plug. An "in the mean time" fix.

Or you could bypass each wire - type or copy 7063k32 in to the search box on the McMaster Carr site. http://www.mcmaster.com/#

Tap in to each wire and run a bypass wire around the plug. An option. Or you could tap in to the L wire only and bypass it since it's the one that affects regulation. Or you could bypass one wire at a time until it works.

The easiest way to do the internal alt swap is with jumpers at the harness plug. You could do that without cutting anything. Instead of cutting the connector off, just get some bullet connectors, put one on each end of a short piece of wire, then connect the appropriate wires at the connector. Make sure that the bullet connectors are tight or insulated so you don't get a short. It would be reversible.

Type or copy bullet connectors in to the McMaster Carr search box to see a bullet connector and options. Radio Shack has both taps and connectors, but of lower quality.