IGNORED

Reliability?

JacktheRiffer

Im looking to buy an S30 and I've been hearing/reading contradictory reports on reliability...the few people I've talked to in person seem to think that they are total crap, where as everything I've read on the forums, internet and car magazines says that they will last a long time...Which is correct?

The people you talk to in person probably have no idea what an S30 is,or owned one, let alone able to give good advice on them.

Remember that these cars are 40 odd years old, and some issues will arise from time to time.

Very reliable cars. IMHO rust is the main issue.

As with any type of car that is 40 years old, the car needs to be well sorted to be reliable, the bonus with the S30 is they are relitively easy and in expensive to fix. Fun factor for the dollar is second to none, and the people associated with the S30 are a great and extremely helpful.

The only person who liked them was my mechanic uncle who said parts are cheap and easy to find which is a bonus to me. Im looking for cars in the Oklahoma and Texas area so rust shouldnt be too much of an issue...are their any major engine/drivetrain issues that can arise?

Here's the bottom line...the mechanics, engine, drive-line, suspension, are bullet proof. The electrics are great and superior to British or German sports cars of the same era. The weakness is rust in the body and chassis. If the frame is rotted out, then the mechanics don't really matter. Get the car with the least amount of rust and anything else is an easy and reasonably priced fix for the most part.

Just because you buy a car in TX or OK does not mean it won't have rust. I picked up and sold on a '77 280z 5spd a few weeks ago, see link below. It was a TX car its whole life. The frame rails were good but due to the car's age the weatherstripping had deteriorated and let water in. The rust you see in the pictures is water coming in at the quarter windows and dripping down. No matter where you buy a S30 check it over for rust really good as others have already mentioned it is the car's Achilles's heel.

http://www.zcar.com/cars_sale_1970-83_240z_260z_280z_280zx/1977_280z_5-speed_austin_tx_3200_sold_903408.0.html

In regards to reliability, the S30 presents the most bang for the buck and many have run 200K, 300K+ miles and are stilling running strong. They are like any car, do the proper maintenance and it will last. On a S30 it is minimal but the usual stuff must be done at expected reasonable intervals.