IGNORED

Door slamming issue fixed-finally!!!!

madkaw

Sounds like you are have the same problem I'm having on my 77 280. I bought the ones from MSA (not OE) a year and a half ago and am still having the "tight" issue. I have to push on the door and pull on the handle at the same time because I don't want to damage my door mechanism. I called MSA today and they suggested putting a heat gun on it to soften it. Not sure I want to try that. Need to investigate a little on that procedure!

Okay so this morning I went to the nearest city, to a shop I know which has all kinds of rubber profiles. To bad the one I needed was temporary not available, but I can order today, and I will have it in 2 days. Anyhow they still got a small piece of a meter left, so I could try back home...

Next thing was amazing..

I noticed the seal is very soft which makes it very easy to close the door, and checked with a lamp inside for a seal against the door, and it does it's job perfectly! Also the seal is clamp/seal in one, so I don't need to use clamp anymore that was on the body to hold the seal in place. I ain't much expensive either.

Pictures say more then words:

Here's the old seal that came out:

971tuo.jpg

2wgelbk.jpg

The new seal:

1q0djd.jpg

294pfg5.jpg

And what I did on the car's body:

2z6fnv7.jpg

ezk900.jpg

1412mp3.jpg

xgb5nm.jpg

34zef53.jpg

34sox1y.jpg

2hd19mu.jpg

11m7rxt.jpg

1q1zf4.jpg

2nu7rbs.jpg

fducfm.jpg

Video ( listen 2 clicks ), second video see how easily the door closes, without slamming...

View My Video

View My Video

Edited by bartsscooterservice

I would love to fix the slamming issue, it is better than before, but all hinges are in perfect shame and all parts are accoutned for, and in alingment. I have the Vintage Rubber seals and I think I need to work these over somewhat or switch the seals out.

And will that fit all S30's?

I think so.. it's just pushed onto the metal edge. I don't know what immitation brand door seals that was on the car, but the problem was it was way to strong, I couldn't even push it to the 2nd click without some serious force, with the new seal it needs a little push to here the 2nd click, so it is actually compressing the seal which is needed, but the seal compresses much easier..which makes the door easier to close without slamming.

The lower side of the passenger side door was also sticking out on the bottom ( you can clearly see on the pictures above ), with the new seal it was solved, I did need to adjust the cath plate a little, but it made a huge difference.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...