IGNORED

what engine/ set-up?

daveyem2012

Hi all. This is my first thread just for some feedback. Ive got a choice between two 240z's 1 with the origanal engine and 1 without an engine. I only want the car for road use but would like the maximum hp for such use. Should i go with the origanl L24 s6 or something else? I aint no machanic but am enjoying finding out all i can as im facinated with these cars. Money is an issue but the best things in life are worth waiting for. Any feedback will be much appreciated.

The replies above are based on the engine work, but for an old 240Z, the body might be more important. Search "buying a 240Z" here or on Google and you'll find lots of tips to avoid buying a rusted out shell. The rusty areas tend to be hidden and hard to find, and can cost a lot of money to fix. Interior and wiring and glass, etc. can all add up.

Just another perspective. Depends on how much hurry you're in to be driving and how fast you can learn, on which car you get. You didn't say if the one with an engine is running or not either. Plus, the fastest way to more power for a 240Z is to put a 280Z or ZX engine in.

Search and read, there are a lot of good stories out there.

Thanks for your views guys, as you may of noticed im from Liverpool, England and Zed Head has a valid point about rust. the two cars im looking at may well have hidden body issues, im off to the Japfest in bristol in a few weeks and there is a guy down that way that imports Z's from Japan, so they are rhd and prob better body condition,i will take a look. I would like the car to be fast of the mark (0-60) with a good top end speed. I have family in the used car industry and own a few garages so im hoping I can/could pick up an engine reasonably cheap so was wandering what engine would be best suited. Would i be best going with 1jz, 2jz or something else? Although I aint no mechanic i do know my way around an engine but kind of get lost with all the diiferent variations :/ my brother restores triumph GT6's and im sure I wouldnt be able to keep him from my door once I get my Z. So I have help and premises at hand should I need it LOL. Grantf I will give serious consideration to yellow. LOL

If one of the Zs you're considering has the matching number motor and the car is in good shape (mostly original and body tight), I would lean toward that one. The crystal ball hasn't been perfected yet, but it is a fair assumption that the Zs with original engines will fetch the most someday (and these cars will certainly go up, albeit slowly). If you decide to change the car's engine you will still have the matching number one to reinstall someday.

Classic Motorsports magazine did a mild build-up of a stock '70 a couple of years ago and was able to pull about 180 hp out of the 2.4 engine with mild head work and cam, custom pistons that brought its displacement to 2.6L but kept the original crank and rods (to keep it "rev-happy"), and the original dual SU carbs. They installed an MSA header-exhaust combo to pull more power from it. Their dyno of it prior to any mods produced about 135hp...not too shabby for a 100k mile engine. I bought the 3 back issues of the mag that were still available (there were 6 or 7 issues that covered the build) and will send you a photo copy of the engine issue if you PM me. BTW, my bone stock '72 will still go 0-60 in about 8 seconds flat (which means some moms in minivans can still keep up with it :(. After I install the R180 LSD rear, 280ZX 5-speed, and do a few mods (basically what CM did with their Z), I'm hoping it will do 0-60 in 6 seconds flat.

The link only touches the highlights of the mag's build-up...no real details. BTW, I'm surprized that any 240s are leaving Japan as the Japanese are crazy about 240s (aren't we all).

http://classicmotorsports.net/project-cars/1970-datsun-240z/

Edited by 24 Ounces
typos

I'll just stick my head through the door and add that it's funny when the "rev-happiness" of the L24 is mentioned and compared to the less rev-happy L28. The reason for this is the cam, not the bottom end! Put in a bigger cam in an L28 and it will love to rev. That is all, back to my cave I go.

:beer: