IGNORED

Carb Tune up tool

tamo3

The colortune and unisyn are obsolete tools left over as vestigial artifacts from a bygone era. You can use them all you want, and I'm sure your Z will run just fine. I can make a stock Z run great using just my ears as well, getting SUs into a working range is relatively simple. You said it yourself, "a Colortune is ineffective and crude when compared to other methods." You can then clearly see that it is completely obsolete and unnecessary today. Even if it is of any help, it can only be used in idle and no-load conditions. It doesn't give you any clue as to what's going on when you're actually driving the car.

In the present day, a serious carb (or EFI) tuner should have a Wideband O2. It's like the internet, once you have it, you can't imagine going without. A casual Z owner that needs to set the mixture on their SUs can get by without any mixture measuring tools and go by ear and driveability. SUs only have one circuit, so it is a really simple tuning process.

A unisyn costs as much as the STE-SK flowmeter. It is far from being the "best bang for the buck" as its construction and usability is inferior to the Weber flowmeter. Ask anyone that's used both, I have.

The OP originally asked about getting a unisyn or STE, and made a point to consider that he plans to go to Webers. The STE is by far the best tool for the job, whether you're dealing with SU, Weber, Mikuni, SK, Dell'orto, etc. A wideband is also critical in getting optimal performance out of these carbs (SUs less so). A colortune will do nothing for him, but waste time.

Colortune is a simple way to balance all 6 idle circuits of a triple setup. Unisyn works fine. Mine's over 30 years old and it's construction has held up fine. Both are simple but effective if you understand how to use them and the information they supply.

Steve

Colortune is a simple way to balance all 6 idle circuits of a triple setup. Unisyn works fine. Mine's over 30 years old and it's construction has held up fine. Both are simple but effective if you understand how to use them and the information they supply.

Steve

Agree. They've worked, and held up, nicely for me and my Z since 1971. I understand differing opinions. Everyone likes what works for them.

Dennis

While it's not my opinion, but rather the facts, that a WBO2 is more helpful than a colortune, and that the flowmeter works better than a unisyn, you all are free to use what you want. I'm simply giving the best advice that I possibly can. Don't let your ego cloud your judgment.

Doradox, using the colortune to balance the idle mixture on triples can be somewhat helpful. I consider that a valid point, but do not see a need to get it just for that purpose. However, if you do have one, that would be a good use for it.

While it's not my opinion, but rather the facts, that a WBO2 is more helpful than a colortune, and that the flowmeter works better than a unisyn, you all are free to use what you want. I'm simply giving the best advice that I possibly can. Don't let your ego cloud your judgment.

Doradox, using the colortune to balance the idle mixture on triples can be somewhat helpful. I consider that a valid point, but do not see a need to get it just for that purpose. However, if you do have one, that would be a good use for it.

I don't think anyone disagrees that a Colortune can't take the place of a WBO2 but it can provide some useful information.

Steve

I don't think anyone disagrees that a Colortune can't take the place of a WBO2 but it can provide some useful information.

Steve

You brought up a good point about mixture-balancing when using triple carbs, but beyond that, it is not much help. If that's worth it for anyone then great, but the merits of the tool must be understood.

The Unisyn is clunky at best, and the colortune is more of a novelty. Get an STE-SK syncrometer, and you will love it. It doesn't choke the carb (like a unisyn) and is very easy to use. .

I have to agree with LeonV - the unisyn is over restrictive on the air intake - it really does choke down the air flow while you are getting a reading for adjusting balance. If any of you have not purchased a Syncrometer do it............my Unisyn has not been used since I purchased the Syncrometer. Benefits are no air restriction at all - no choking - no stalling - just a nice level reading while adjusting your air flow..........IMO.

I have to agree with LeonV - the unisyn is over restrictive on the air intake - it really does choke down the air flow while you are getting a reading for adjusting balance. If any of you have not purchased a Syncrometer do it............my Unisyn has not been used since I purchased the Syncrometer. Benefits are no air restriction at all - no choking - no stalling - just a nice level reading while adjusting your air flow..........IMO.

Someone can see the light!!!