IGNORED

L28 swap into 1972 240Z

airbornealex

I am sure it has been beaten to death, but I need to ask it," what do I need to do to put a L28 out of a 1977 280Z into my 1972 240Z?" My '72 has the factory L24 with the SU's, a 3-2 header with a cobbled up exhaust. I found a '77 280z car with it's fuel injected L28, manual trans drive train. My Z has a 5 speed manual currently. I would like to keep the fuel injection on the L28, what do I need to do? I am new to Z cars, I bought my first today, I like the idea of the larger displacement of the L28, I also like the reliability of fuel injection and ditching the SU carbs on my 240 sounds good. Please help, I am curious about wiring, fuel system, exhaust....clutch....whatever else you can think of. Thanks everyone.

I would download the 76, 77 or 78 FSM (the 77 FSM downloads as one big file, 76 and 78 downloads as chapters, easier to use and the systems are similar) and read the Engine Fuel section. Then you'll understand how the EFI works and what is necessary to do the transplant.

You''ll need the ECU and the AFM and the EFI wiring harness. You can try to transplant everything or do some of your own wiring. But read the FSM section first, it's very well-written and very informative. You'll need the knowledge anyway to get things right afterward.