IGNORED

Today's dumb throttle linkage question

jharvat

I want to take apart the throttle linkage on my 73 240 to clean it up and replace the rubber firewall boot. The dumb question: Do those little ball and socket joints just pop apart? I tried to get them apart but they didn't yield to medium pressure. I didn't want to break anything so I thought I better ask before I tried to strong-arm them.

Thanks, in advance, for your answers!

Edited by jharvat

Smooth linkage with low friction is so underrated. You don't know what you've been missing until the linkage is working properly. Going from a sticky linkage to a smooth linkage, changes the whole operation of the car. It even effects the infamous rear end clunk in a positive way.

The ball end link will pry off with a flat screwdriver, and snap back on with a channel lock. I usually protect the plastic ball with tape first.

Edited by cygnusx1

Actually you should all try driving with a bare foot/sock at least once. You really can do very fine adjustments as the sensitivity to pressure increases awareness of where the throttle is. I guess wearing those F1 booties instantly make you a better driver just by the improved tactile feed back and sensitivity.

Smooth linkage with low friction is so underrated. You don't know what you've been missing until the linkage is working properly. Going from a sticky linkage to a smooth linkage, changes the whole operation of the car. It even effects the infamous rear end clunk in a positive way.

To each their own - I've had both and will not go back to the linkage.......have you tried the throttle cable? If you have not, then you do not know....and if you still have the rear end clunk there is a proven fix for that as well - fortunately I don't have linkage slop or rear end clunk........

With a Holley carb, I have a combination of lithium grease on the linkage and graphite powder on the cable, the same stuff you use for door locks etc. Proper lubrication is essential as noted by the others.

When removing the linkages from each oter I use an open ended 10mm spanner under the ball. Even pressure is applied to both sides of the ball and it pops off without fear of breakage.

Works for me! HaHaha.

On your linkages be sure when you take them apart get some penetrating oil and spray each of the threaded ends, with a metal brush work the oil into the threads and work the adjusting nut so each of your links can be easily adjusted. When reassembling - snug up all your joints (including the firewall to the throttle pedal) so get as much slop out as you can. That is about all you can do to clean up and re-work the adjustments from the pedal to the carb. With all the adjustments and ball links - that is how the slop gets developed - all Z's have throttle surge due to the linkages (or at least 99 out of 100). It's been a problem since the original design.

The throttle cable is a complete correction - one cable from the pedal to the carb - best of luck with your project.

I don't dispute linkage versus cable. When I say "linkage", I mean anything in between your foot and the throttle plate. That does include your shoes. I imagine cables can be more reliable than mechanical joints. Whatever it is that you use, should be buttery smooth, and allow very small throttle changes with no "stepping". Smooth driving is imperative for performance. I have driven Z's with stock throttles, that made smooth driving impossible. I am sure there are many out there, that don't even realize they have an issue.

Edited by cygnusx1