IGNORED

My neighbor's beautiful 1971 240Z! (Lots of pictures)

LeonV

Just my luck, I have 3 240Z owners in my neighborhood (excluding myself)! Lucky for you guys, one of them is selling his 1971 240Z. I don't think it gets much exposure sitting on the classifieds site so I wanted to post here before we put it up on ebay or CL. It has a ton of (very interesting) history, and the accompanying paper trail! It's in amazing shape and is one of the best put-together Zs I've ever seen or had the chance to drive. PM me for owner contact info.

On to the car!

1971 Datsun 240Z for Sale

VIN HLS30-31136

165,000 documented miles

This car is in excellent condition, very stock, and very hard to find these days! Green with butterscotch interior, except the seats are black (although they are 240Z seats). It has the original motor and I have all maintenance records dating back to 1973. The interior and exterior are very clean, there is no rust and car runs just as it did when it was new. Even all the original smog equipment is still there.

This vehicle was originally purchased in San Diego and had basically four major owners including myself. I don’t know the original owner or purchase date, but it was sold to the 2nd owner, also of San Diego, on 9/1/73. In 1991 it was sold to 3rd owner living in Southern California. In 1997 this car was sold to a person who was buying classic 240Z cars on behalf of Nissan. You may remember Nissan was buying these, restoring them and selling at their dealerships in the late 1990s. This car was purchased with that intent, however, Nissan cancelled the restoration program shortly thereafter, leaving the buyer in a tough situation, (as he had no intention of keeping it) and had already started the restoration process (mostly paint and some window seals). On August 23, 1997 the buyer sold it to his friend also of Southern California, who did some minor restoration work and quickly sold it to me in September of 1997, as he also had no intention of keeping it.

In looking at the maintenance records prior to my ownership, it had two major jobs done consisting of installing a 5 speed transmission and a valve job. Some of the more recent repairs/replacements I did during the last 10,000 miles included a new head gasket (minor leak, not blown), radiator, thermostat, spark pugs and wires, starter, alternator, battery, voltage regulator, SU carburetor cleaning and adjustment, choke cable, fuel pump, all new door and hatch gaskets, Polk speakers, fuel gauge, clock, radiator hoses, and belts. Oil change, new brake fluid, radiator flush done in January of 2012.

The car runs great, basically the only deferred maintenance is the tires which are very old (although tread is good), the driver side window regulator needs an adjustment, lube, or a replacement, and recently I have discovered the driver door lock is a bit “fussy”. Sometimes it takes a several tries before the key can turn the lock, so the striker likely needs a minor adjustment. Most of the rubber bushings are original, although I noticed some have been replaced. Other than that, this car is in great shape. This is not your typical rough, rusty, squeaky, smelly 240Z. The interior is quiet and comfortable, the engine and transmission have no issues, and when you punch the throttle in 3rd gear at 4,000 RPM, the SU’s open up, the engine roars like a lion, and it goes!

I took photos under the car, and there are no rust issues to deal with. The paint is in very good shape (10 years old) and the body has no rust.

I am selling it due to a lack of time or interest to drive it. It has basically sat in my garage for the last 6 years. I have several other cars, and don’t find myself wanting to drive it as much as I did over 14 years ago when I bought it.

DSC05428.jpg

DSC05430.jpg

DSC05431.jpg

DSC05432.jpg

DSC05433.jpg

DSC05434.jpg

DSC05435.jpg

DSC05436.jpg

DSC05437.jpg

DSC05438.jpg

DSC05442.jpg

DSC05443.jpg

DSC05444.jpg

DSC05445.jpg

DSC05446.jpg

Really beautiful interior. I love the butterscotch

I wish the owner MUCH luck in selling his. This car reminds me of mine in so many ways.

Good luck buddy!

Thanks! It's a very clean Z. I had a chance to drive it and it's like I was back in the '70s driving a new 240Z!

Beautiful car Leon. I think you should pick it up ;)

I know, it's so tempting, Glenn!

If I didn't have a '71 in (sloooow) progress already in the garage, then it would've already been in there! I was contemplating the unthinkable, selling my nice 2/71 shell to get this one, however, the shell is already totally stripped and awaiting paint. I've also been looking to throw my money at a new daily driver (S2000 or M Coupe). I think I've decided to have this be "the one that got away." :cry:

This thread is essentially a big "For Sale" ad, and does not belong in the technical/discussion forums. That's exactly why we have a free classifieds site. But since there has already been discussion, I'll leave it here for now.

Edited by Arne

Sweet! :) On a completely unrelated, but somewhat similar note, I just moved. My neighbor across the street in my old neighborhood had a beautiful, yellow '68 Camaro daily driver, so I was looking forward to having the only cool classic in the neighborhood. Nope! In my new neighborhood, my next door neighbor has a very nice DeTomaso Pantera in the garage -- yellow, of course. I don't think it runs, though. ;)

Distance should not be an obstacle, it is Cali car, any rust issues will be minimal if any, add the transport cost and you are ahead.I rather pay transportation $ against $$$$$ in body work.:bulb:

Edited by 72 OJ

The car is definitely super straight and free of rust!

I love my neighborhood! Next door lives an airline mechanic and he works on cars in his free time. While more of a classic Beetle guy, he also has a Corvair and a nice 1990 Mustang GT. It's really nice to have a fellow gearhead next door to have "garage chats" with and borrow tools from! There's also an older guy across the street who used to own a car dealership and raced Mustangs back in the 60s and 70s. He always has a good story. It's so great to have car people on the block, but of course there is the one annoying neighbor who complains if you drop a nail on the ground... :rolleyes: