IGNORED

Finally got one...now to make it mine: 1973 240z Refresh / Personalisation

73str86

Sweet, nice work!!! It's a shame we can't get properly sized high performance tires in 14" anymore, without going to essentially race rubber.

So far I'm really impressed with the tires. When I park in my garage dirt and tree buds, etc. stick to the tread all around the tire. Even touching the rubber feels very grippy as opposed to most tires I've felt before.

Hopefully within 1,000-3,000 miles I'll autocross it and will definitely hit the drag strip a few times before buying some slicks.

So far I'm really impressed with the tires. When I park in my garage dirt and tree buds, etc. stick to the tread all around the tire. Even touching the rubber feels very grippy as opposed to most tires I've felt before.

Hopefully within 1,000-3,000 miles I'll autocross it and will definitely hit the drag strip a few times before buying some slicks.

I'm sure they're fine for regular driving but the Ziex 912 is an all-season tire and its diameter at that size is about 1.5" smaller than stock. I just wish there were summer performance tires available in 14" with a diameter of at least 24.5" but I don't see that happening any time soon, if ever.

• 2 weeks later...
Get some kind of filtration on that thing sir!!!!

I do not want your new engine to suck up dirt!

The K&N air filters actually arrived from Pegasus Racing on April 30th I just didn't make the time to post an update. I'm a lot more willing to go for longer drives now. I did not factor the cost of the K&Ns into the figure for the carbs. It hurt a little. I keep thinking I'm done with spending money!

LOL

post-25856-14150824309013_thumb.jpg

Since the last update I took the carbs, intake, and exhaust off. I figured I might as well get my NOS Jet Hot coated Clifford Research header put on with an exhaust made by a real shop instead of the hack job that was on there before.

After some research and a recommendation I found Eddie's Custom Exhaust Shop in Augusta, GA. I got an estimate of $160 for 2.5" pipe including making the header extension from the 6-3-2 header.

The owner told me I needed to supply the header reducers. After ordering from NAPA for $26.99 and waiting two days for delivery, they sold me a set for larger headers. The exhaust shop sent me to a local race shop I had never heard of. After walking in the 10-bay garage seeing all sorts of sweet rides, the owner of this shop guided me into the store area. There were about 15 isles of all the race parts you only ever find online. Ignition, AN fittings, fuel pumps, the whole nine yards. Fully built 383s and polished rear ends. I was like a kid in a candy store. The local race shop sold me the reducers I needed (pre welded together I might add) for $16.99.

As the guy was ringing me up I asked if he had any exhaust tips for sale. He pointed to the other side of the wall and I could not believe what I saw. A NOS ANSA tip! I asked if he had another and he said there should be another in the box. I could not believe it and I felt incredibly lucky to have gone into this shop. I'm going to eventually weld them together and turn it into a twin tip design. I suppose this makes up for when WingZr0 ripped a few of us off for $400 a piece.

post-25856-14150824309509_thumb.jpg

post-25856-14150824310082_thumb.jpg

post-25856-14150824310563_thumb.jpg

The exhaust shop finished around 1 p.m. after dealing with the hiccups. Instead of going for a Flowmaster or Magnaflow muffler, I opted for a used Borla Pro XS he offered me for $20. Overall I'm happy with it. I'll post a video--eventually.

post-25856-1415082431104_thumb.jpg

post-25856-14150824311525_thumb.jpg

post-25856-14150824311999_thumb.jpg

post-25856-14150824312478_thumb.jpg

post-25856-14150824312957_thumb.jpg

post-25856-14150824313638_thumb.jpg

I still haven't gotten around to swapping the rear differential. I just bought a fixer-upper investment/rental home that will be taking a great deal of my time.

:beer:

Edited by 73str86

• 1 year later...

A year later...

I just broke 1,000 miles on my new L29. I gave up on the triple SKs; they couldn't idle enough to my liking and I didn't want to mess with all the jets.

post-25856-14150829543973_thumb.jpg

Sold them and made a couple hundred dollars. Back to my 3 screw SUs.

post-25856-14150829544478_thumb.jpg

I cut my throttle arm from the firewall to the balance tube to use the SKs, so I had to find a new rod...difficult task. Stumbled on a local guy with a parts car, bought a bunch of carb parts, ended up with the whole dang car a couple weeks later in exchange for a 83 5 speed and p90 turbo head.

There was something wrong with the rebuilt kit I bought a couple years ago (maybe I got a flat top kit) that I put in because once everything was together, she wouldn't run. What do I do? Put in the original needle valves along with some SM needles...and she purrs like a kitten. Amazing throttle response, with stage III schneider, clifford headers, and borla muffler, everyone looks when I step on it. Sounds like a V8 at idle but the glorious straight six sound under load.

There's one catch. Once I hit 1,000 miles I started taking her over 4,000 rpms. At 5,000, she falls flat on her face and putters out. I'm going to dial in the timing this weekend with a timing light.

Upcoming projects: my humming diff is still going strong at 1,000 miles after it started. I have a fully rebuilt R180 4.11 open diff ready to put in, just sourcing some bushings and trying to decide if I want the Ron Tyler diff mount.

Also looking for a used 432 style rear spoiler and non-ducted spook airdam.

Nice work! Looks great.

93 octane? I'm so-o jealous. Premium pump gas here is 91, contains alcohol, (and I think they are lying about it being 91 octane).

Yes 93 is available here in GA. I try to stick to the non-ethanol version as well (around $4.39/gallon).

I plan on moving to Colorado at the end of this year. I think she'll run ok on 91.

Is there a video size limit for these forums? I want to take a good quality video of my current exhaust before I change it a little.

[quote=73str86;461267

Is there a video size limit for these forums? I want to take a good quality video of my current exhaust before I change it a little.

If the video is too large, you could load it on YouTube and just post a link to it on this fourm.

Dennis

Yes 93 is available here in GA. I try to stick to the non-ethanol version as well (around $4.39/gallon).

I plan on moving to Colorado at the end of this year. I think she'll run ok on 91.

At least you still have a choice on non ethanol.. I only seen that in Germany here across the border. Here everything regular contains 5% ethanol in it. I hope it doesn't effect the fuel system and carbs to much.