IGNORED

1970Z Restore Thread, Let the Fun Begin!

CG240Z

I have steering rack bushings in a box waiting to go. I found a crack in my steering rack and am in the process of picking another one up from a fellow forum member. And thanks for the heads up on the bump steer spacers, haven't heard of those.

Hopefully these carbs will run well, right now I'm just using them because I have them. If they don't turn out so well when I get the car running I'll look at other alternatives.

Got my buddy to pop my trans open and inspect it. I don't really know anything about the internals of a transmission. Going to replace some bushings and seals in it. It's going to be nice to have a 5spd in this.

post-25778-1415081754399_thumb.jpg

post-25778-14150817544316_thumb.jpg

post-25778-14150817544571_thumb.jpg

Tear down on the engine continues...

Pushing the pin out of the rods.

post-25778-14150817636691_thumb.jpg

Hot washing the block. It was filled with old crusty oil, apparently the previous owner didn't believe in changing the oil.

post-25778-14150817637282_thumb.jpg

Also magnafluxed the block to look for any cracks, no cracks found.

post-25778-14150817637447_thumb.jpg

post-25778-14150817637747_thumb.jpg

Just got off the phone with Z Car Source, master engine kit ordered with newer flattop pistons, should be in next week. Hopefully this engine will shape out to a mean 6cyl.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Man oh man, it's been awhile. Unfortunately I just ran out of steam and energy for this project....But I'm back at it and hopefully in full force. Over the weekend I finished up the front suspension and rolled the ol' car out of the garage to wash it. The plan for this weekend is to drop the engine/trans in and switch out the rear end to a R200. I have a billet mustache bar coming in the mail from Arizona Z Car, pretty excited about that. Still lots of work to be done before I'll be behind the wheel driving, but hopefully soon.

New (to me) Rack and pinion, adjustable control arms, Eibach lowering springs, slotted rotors, and 4 piston calipers. Still need to put the MSA sway bar on.

post-25778-14150820284468_thumb.jpg

Rolled the car out, (can't remember the last time it's been on all 4 wheels), and gave her a bath to get all that garage dust off.

post-25778-1415082028517_thumb.jpg

Also got the clutch in today. You know, I was looking at all these performance clutches like Centerforce, etc. The pricing on them are pretty high and I bet they are great clutches. Realistically though, I'm building a weekend cruiser 240 with a 280 engine in it. I'm not going to be pumping out any crazy horsepower, so for $100 I got Autozone's finest Duralast clutch. I've put them in other cars and never had a problem. If it doesn't work well, I can always switch it out later on.

post-25778-14150820285508_thumb.jpg