exhaust smell - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

exhaust smell

Featured Replies

can someone direct me to a thread about the exhaust smell inside my z. I know there has to be one?? Thanks ~Rosco~

It is part of the Z personality////some have put a catalytic converter to burn exhaust gases , the must popular solution is to have the tail pipe pass the bumper.

  • Author

Found a thread that says seal everything front to back. Thanks ~Rosco~

50% design 50% 40 year old rubbers and joint seals.

When we reassembled my 72 we took a lot of care and I have no exhaust issues.

Do a search and sit back and read:)

Casey

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

When they say "Seal Everything" they mean everything. Strangely the "fix" that cured most of my exhaust smell issue I found by accident when I installed a new power antenna. There is a drain hose that comes out of the bottom of the antenna and goes through a grommet into the rear fender area. On my car that grommet was missing. Once the new antenna was installed with the drain line and a new grommet, the smell pretty much vanished.

But by then I had replaced nearly every rear seal on the car, and switched to band clamp style exhaust clamps, so that was the last open hole in the car. The drain line comes out right by the muffler by the way.

I an't tell where exactly the roar comes frome either.

Guess I was lucky. Found my exhaust smell source when I removed the tail light assemblies. Installed two new seals and no more smelly exhaust.

  • 1 month later...
When they say "Seal Everything" they mean everything. Strangely the "fix" that cured most of my exhaust smell issue I found by accident when I installed a new power antenna. There is a drain hose that comes out of the bottom of the antenna and goes through a grommet into the rear fender area. On my car that grommet was missing. Once the new antenna was installed with the drain line and a new grommet, the smell pretty much vanished.

Question for you Walter - Where did you get your antenna drain line grommet, and do you have a part number?

Thank you, Gary

I an't tell where exactly the roar comes frome either.
No one asked.......

As for Gary's question, I bought a grommet from ACE hardware's assortment for my antenna. Don't remember the exact size but it worked.

Edited by sblake01

Thanks Steve. p.s. I think you'd make a fine moderator!

Gary

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.